How to lighten your sanke keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raider-11

Reaction score
Here is how I was able to lighten my sanke keggls by 5 lbs, by removing most of the top skirt but leaving the handles, first mark your handle lines with a sharpi, I measured from the center of handle opening 2" on each side at the top and 3" from center at the weld, this will give you a tapered handle that looks better then straight ones, now with a 1/16" thick 4 1/2" cutoff wheel cut along the line you made, take care near the weld not to cut into the keg top, stay 1/2" away from the weld with your through cut because the grinder may jump forward and cut into the keg, once you are through go back and carefuly cut the last 1/2" just enough to break free in the later steps. Now cut along the weld between the handle cuts, don't cut too deep, no deeper then the skirt is thick, once your cut is deep enough, place the keg up on a stable surface with the skirt hanging over the edge, if you don't already have them on put on your safty glasses and heavy leather gloves, with a hammer start hitting the skirt near the handle and if the your cut is deep enough the skirt should break free if not go back and cut a little deeper and try again, there you are 5 lbs lighter, now all you have to do is clean up the weld and the handles with a flapper wheel on your grinder and your done.
5022-handle-layout.jpg
5024-handle-cut-1-2-weld.jpg

Handle layout_________________________________________________________________________Handle cut with 1/2" relief
5023-cutting-skirt-angle.jpg
5025-relief-cut-making-removing-skirt-easer.jpg

Skirt cut__________________________________________________________________________Skirt relief cut makes removal easer.
5021-knocking-skirt-free.jpg
5032-skirt-broken-free.jpg

Knocking skirt free
5030-skirt-removed.jpg
5031-keggle-lid.jpg

Job done

I have used grinders with cut off wheels for years at work and at home but if you are careful and if possable practise on an old beatup keg it can be done successfully in less then 15 min per keg.

Thanks XXguy. I just signed up as a premium member so now I can now post pics with the message

Wow, nice work on that! I was a bit unsure how it would look based on your first post, but after going through the pics, I like the look!

I tried it out on a beatup keg first to see how it would look and how best to go about it because after looking for weeks on the internet I couldnt find any examples. Maybe I started something and then again maybe not

I guess my only question is how are you mounting sight glass or accessories to this since using the eye bolt in the skirt is not an option now?

Wow, really nice job. Only problem is how do you still collect tiny bits of old grain, bugs & leaves without the top skirt. You are losing out on the added flavor for the next brew.

Seriously, I have the grinder, the kegs - but the grinder scares the hell out of me for cutting stuff. I don't mind using it to buff the keg, but I do see myself grinding off my nose at some point.

I really like it...

I think I might give it a go on my spare keggle to see how it turns out before doing this on my Boil Kettle

-=Jason=-

Looks really good. I see the bigger benefit being what samc mentioned. Easier to keep clean up top. Although now your boil overs will run right down the side :p

Looks really good. I see the bigger benefit being what samc mentioned. Easier to keep clean up top. Although now your boil overs will run right down the side :p

mine has little holes cut in the sides so any liquid still runs out and doesn't stay put up at the top.

-=Jason=-

I used a grinder to cut off the skirt on my mash tun all together. It really does lighten the kettle, and especially for the mash tun it makes emptying out spent grain soooo much easier. No more grain caught on the lip. Some simple handles welded on make it functional, and for those who choose to dry upside down (like me) you can still do that.

allclean.jpg

mash_jacket.jpg

I guess my only question is how are you mounting sight glass or accessories to this since using the eye bolt in the skirt is not an option now?

I'm still in the engineering stage but the sight glass will have a stainless tube covering it and I will weld a bracket to the keggle to mount the top of the sight glass

I used a grinder to cut off the skirt on my mash tun all together. It really does lighten the kettle, and especially for the mash tun it makes emptying out spent grain soooo much easier. No more grain caught on the lip. Some simple handles welded on make it functional, and for those who choose to dry upside down (like me) you can still do that.

You know, I do like the OP keggle but the lid from my brew kettle fits perfectly on the rim/skirt of my keggle and allows vapor to escape via the handles (limiting boil over with a sealed cover)...and I too, like to dry (and store) upside down...the two handle approach of the OP won't allow this. Great idea, just not for certain set-ups. And that, is what makes the earth spin. Cheers, men!

This is so cool. Unfortunately, my sight glass would fall off.

just leave the little spot where you have you sight glass hole drilled.

I mounted my eye bolt as low as I could get it in anticipation of doing this.

I will just leave a tiny bit of material around where the eye bolt connects to. im sure you could do the same just relocate your hole lower and leave it attached.

I can sketch up a photo of what I'm talking about, but I don't think it would look bad all at.

-=Jason=-

I thought about doing this, but I dry and store my kettle upside down, and the top skirt makes that a lot easier.

Sure would be nice to lighten the thing, though. Between the kettle, March pump, and all the stainless, brass, and copper tubing I have attached, it's a bit of a bear to move around.

I did a keggle for a friend so I posted pics that better discribe the process

i may have to do this on my keg, I got a free one that I am about to turn into my boil keggle, but since it was free, i'll be out no cost if i screw it up... will a dremel with a metal wheel work ya think?

A dremel will probably do it, but it might take all day and a lot of wheels. It would be much easier with a 4-1/2" grinder with a wheel for cutting stainless.

It would be cheaper to buy a harbor-freight 4" grinder for $29 USD than the cost of all those dremel cutting wheels.

Well, I just looked it up and that's a huge lie. Let me re-prhase:

It would be more fun to buy a harbor-freight 4" grinder for $39 USD than changing-out all those dremel cutting wheels.

A dremel will probably do it, but it might take all day and a lot of wheels. It would be much easier with a 4-1/2" grinder with a wheel for cutting stainless.

I agree, it takes one 4 1/2" cutoff disk to do the job and then its too small to cut through the curled top edge on another keg, a 4 1/2" grinder is a good investment thou.

Hey that looks cool and now no skirt in the way! Unfortunately I still don't have kegs to start this project with.

Very nice!! Where did you find that lid? I just got a keg and I'm glad I came across this post!

Back