Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Crimson Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICLARK

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Saf Ale S-05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days at 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 Days at 65
Additional Fermentation
no
Tasting Notes
Probably the best beer I have ever Made, Very malty and very very hoppy!
Crimson Rye IPA

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.57 %
3.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 19.67 %
0.75 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4.92 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.28 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.28 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.64 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 1.64 %

2.00 oz Saranac Cascade [8.60 %] (60 min) Hops 47.3 IBU
1.00 oz Saranac Cascade [8.60 %] (30 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
1.00 oz Saranac Cascade [8.60 %] (20 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.2 IBU

2 Pkgs SafAle S-05 (Fermentis) Yeast-Ale

Mash: 4.5 Gal Water 167 Degrees for 75 Min
2.5 Gal Water 185 Degrees for 20 Min
2.0 Gal Water 185 Degrees for 20 Min

Hey, just wanted to let you know I brewed a batch of this up yesterday. I altered the recipe in that I added 2 oz of roasted barley and subtracted 1 oz cascade and 0.5 oz amarillo. I'm planning on dry hopping it though. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the recipe, the color is fantastic!

This recipe looks similar to something I have been working on, but I need to improve the color. Would you happen to have a picture you could share??? Thanks.

This recipe looks similar to something I have been working on, but I need to improve the color. Would you happen to have a picture you could share??? Thanks.

Im sorry I don't, I need to get a digital camera. It was a deep copper Ruby Color.

you posted the strike temp,
but for you what does that work out to be for a mash temp ?

Sorry about that 153- 154 ish is what I mash at.

so this just got kegged and i'm just waiting for it clear a bit, so far it tates really good, but was yours really red ? mine turned out (even though it's not cleared yet) a light brown like an apple cider.

so this just got kegged and i'm just waiting for it clear a bit, so far it tates really good, but was yours really red ? mine turned out (even though it's not cleared yet) a light brown like an apple cider.

Mine comes out deep copper with a bit of red pretty much like an irish red.

I am going to make this on Monday. I'm a big fan of Founders Red's Rye PA. Is this anything similar? Either way, it sounds fabulous.

I am going to make this on Monday. I'm a big fan of Founders Red's Rye PA. Is this anything similar? Either way, it sounds fabulous.

IT is a recipe that a founders brewer gave to a guy at my lhbs he said it was the exact recipe scaled down. I tastes spot on the more amarillo you use.

Brewed it over the weekend. It looks and smells wonderful so far. I'm kind of burned out on making 'regular' IPAs, so this may be a regular brew for me. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Oh, and for the record...I love Founder's, but I wish they'd use pry-off caps! :D

This was my first all-grain batch and I'm very pleased with the results. The beer isn't as red as some of the other folks have mentioned, but the taste is great. The rye really comes through and gives the beer a dry, clean finish. The hop flavor is present, but not overpowering. I would definitely use this recipe again.

Planning to try this out although had to make some adjustments due to lack of ingredients at the store.

Dingemanns Special B instead of aromatic and combined the weight of the 120L crystal with the weight of the caramunich.

Can I ask if the 185 degree for 20 minutes section of the mash was your sparge time? I'm a little confused there.

Back