Chokecherry Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2pugbrews

Reaction score
Since the chokecherries are close to ripening at our elevation, someone was asking about using chokecherries in beer.
Has anyone used chokecherries? What style beer? How were the cc processed? When were they added?

I always thought chokecherries were poisonous, but that's probably just referring to cyanide in the seeds/pits. I didn't know people ate them at all, figured they were just for the birds.

Chokecherry

Basically they are the berries of a common shrub.

A chokecherry is an incredibly astringent berry that grows on bushes. Chewing on one feels like it's sucking all the moisture out of your mouth. I had chokecherry wine once and it was the driest stuff I've ever drank.

They might be good as a replacement for some of the hops in your beer. Since they're so dry I would think they would override a lot of the sweetness of the beer. It's worth a try - why don't you do it and let us know? Then, when they're ready around here I could make some :)

I was looking for a chokecherry beer recipe but cannot find one. Chokecherries are very good and quite edible but they have a large seed you probably don't want to eat. I picked some and planned on juicing them and saving a quart and using it as an additive during secondary fermination. Somehow I need to experiment with adding a few cups at a time (or less) and seeing how it tastes. I was thinking I would use a lager type of recipe ..maybe? I have no idea but will give it a try.

Just made some syrup and still have 5 lbs frozen to make wine with. For chokecherry beer, maybe you could just add a little prepared syrup to secondary. But then you are adding more sugars. Maybe the straight unsweetened juice would be the better option. Hmmm, maybe Ill try that for my Holiday Ale.

I plan on adding a prepared chokecherry syrup to the primary of a Belgian golden. I'm working my way through the parts of the Midwest I have lived in. With a sweet grass golden and a chokecherry golden I figure I have the best aromatics and flavors in a few beers. Then I could blend them to create a fantastic combination. Try the ingredient, then think about what style it would compliment best. Everyone agrees that chocolate goes better with a stout than a DIPA.

I know this post is old, but thought I'd add my two cents for future searches on the topic. I grew up with a ton of chokecherry bushes in our yard. We picked them every year for jelly and syrup, and my father started making a decent wine out of them when I was in college. I have read that they are a preferred way to add cherry flavor to dark beers (stouts and porters) as it takes a ton of sweet cherries to impart any flavor. I would recommend that you don't add them to a very hoppy beer as the hops and tart cherry flavor probably wouldn't meld very well. It will be a very dry cherry flavor, but would probably work very well in a chocolate and/or milk stout. The sweetness from the lactose will probably work very well. It will not be a "cherry" flavor like you would expect from a sweet cherry, but will be a unique flavor. I hope to start brewing with chokecherries (and sand cherries, nanking cherries, and other tart bush cherries) soon.

I recently brewed a chokecherry wheat beer. If you or anyone else is interested, you can read about it here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=544509

This beer used Fuggle hops, which I think turned out to be a great choice. The thing about this beer is that it had to condition in the bottle for several weeks to "come into its own." It was "okay" right after bottling, and had a beautiful colour from the chokecherries, but the hops and the chokecherry didn't seem to come through at all. I tried one again several weeks later (perhaps 2 months in the bottle, total, and a little over 4 months after brew day), and the change was remarkable. The chokecherry began to show through in a way that was very nice, with the flavor and a hint of sweetness beginning to assert themselves. The Fuggle hops also started to come through, and perhaps contributed to this. It went from being an "okay" beer to one of my favourites so far. When I took a drink, I was instantly transported back to the morning that my youngest son and I collected the chokecherries. In my book, that ain't bad at all, especially considering that it was a great day with my boy.

Just curious, but why the reluctance to try this one yourself? Chokecherries are used for syrup, wine, jelly and all kinds of wonderful things. In my opinion, it'd be worth your time to give it a go.

Best regards -

Ron

Hi, Jerry -

I am indeed still active on the forum and I think you will be happy with the results if you give them a try. Since my first rbew of this beer, I've got to thinking that about 1 pound of fruit per gallon is about right, so if you brew 5-gallon batches, it looks as if you're going to be good to go.

Up here, the chokecherries are generally "ready" at the end of August/beginning of September, depending on where you are; when fully ripe, they lose much of their astringency and gain a good amount of sweetness. There are different ways to do it, and ultimately I am not sure if it makes much difference. Some add them whole and others steep/gently crush them first (not the pits, just the fruit!) with just enough water to loosen them up, which seems to me like the way to go. There are different ways to do it, but what I would do is add the chokecherries right at the end of the boil, either at knock-out or perhaps with a minute left in the boil. Some add them in a secondary, which I haven't tried. One thing that I read about (and will probably try next time) is to mash them up a bit (gently, so as not to break the pits) and then add them to an empty fermenter. Attach an airlock and let them sit for a week, then dump your wort on them after the boil.

Lots of options!

Another incredibly good use for chokecherries is wine; you will be quite pleased if you look into that aspect, as well.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Thanks, Ron!

My plan is to brew a smoked porter and add the CC extract at the end of the boil. I would worry about contamination adding to the secondary, especially with a one-week delay. I just hope that the flavor comes through, I'll brew a second batch of porter to compare. I've been storing the boiled CC extract in the refrigerator, hopefully nothing will grow while I prepare for brew day. I expect it will be in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks. All the particles are settling out and it is a pretty velvet color.

In Colorado our seasons are a little ahead of Montana (I was born in Helena). It is the end of July now, and the CC bush has been totally cleaned out by the robins, so I'm glad I got my 5 pounds before they got them all. I am up in the air about using it all for beer, or to make some jelly also.

As far as wine goes, I imagine one would need to add something for a source of sugar to ferment. I have not checked the S.G. of my extract, but I'll bet it is pretty low. I have made mead in the past, so CC mead would probably be my approach.

Happy brewing!

Jerry

Sounds like you've got a good plan, Jerry -

Where in Colorado are you? My mother was born and raised in Canon City, and I've got family in other parts. We were just in Helena a week or so ago; if you get back up there, be sure to stop in at Toppers for a really good selection of beers from around the world and some very nice home-made Bavaria sausages.

Back