Broke a mug tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
My daughter and SIL gave me a dozen different pub glasses for my collection as a Christmas gift. Took 3 of them out of the box tonight to wash them.... and promptly knocked one sailing off the counter! One of the things I've learned since living in this house is glasses don't survive hitting a ceramic tile floor at full speed, and this one just further proved that. It's in the trash can in about 2 bazillion pieces. Sigh.

Sucks to have that happen to a gift so soon. We got my father a cell phone for christmas a few years back. We were unwrapping gifts at the dinner table right after eating. He unwrapped the phone, looked at it, and then it slipped out of his hand and landed in the bowl of au jus from his french dip. He had it for a total of about 6 seconds before it was ruined.

bummer.

I have broken a fair share myself. It is pretty amazing to me that a solid mug type glass (like my poor dimple stein r.i.p.) will shatter on a ceramic tile floor. However, a thinly walled glass like a nonic pint will bounce and remain intact. I just knocked one off the counter yesterday. Not a scratch. I have also knocked one of the drip tray of my kegerator onto a concrete basement floor. No harm there either. Amazing!

Oh, that sucks.

Back in High School, I had this huge glass liter mug I used at keg parties. I loved that mug.

One New Year's Eve, I filled it, took a couple of steps, and somebody bumped me. I dropped it and it shattered, throwing beer and glass EVERYWHERE.

That was minor, though. That house got TRASHED that night. My (well, now) brother-in-law left a cig on the grand piano, and it burnt a long strip into the top.

Guy who gave the party's parents came back from Florida early, before we had a chance to clean up the mess...

:eek:

My condolences on your loss gonefishing.

Every time that we go to Disney World, the wife and I pick one thing to collect. One year it was cookie jars, one year it was Christmas stuff, and last year it was beer glasses. I think I ended up with around 10-12 glasses.

Well, a friend came over last summer to brew with me, and I was pouring us a couple of beers. I almost grabbed him one of the "good" Disney glasses, but stopped just short and grabbed him a generic glass instead. Sure enough, my friend knocked his glass over in the drive way and it shattered. After that, he got plastic.

You know, the funny part of this is that I've never been a collector of anything before this, but SWMBO is and she doesn't understand why losing one glass matters. I'll bet it would matter if one of her Mary Moo thingies got shattered.

paper / scissor / rock.
All floors should be made out of paper, all glasses made of rock and scissors banned from the house. dunkr.

We have porcelain tiles and go through the same thing.
Dropping items becomes a very expensive mistake.

The worst is when you drop a fork, pick it up and realize that the damn thing bent when it hit the tile.

Back