Degassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acafro

Reaction score
Has anyone used some kind of mechanical stirer that goes on say a drill for degassing?

How well do they work? And is it worth it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I do. I got the metal one first
MIXSTIRSTAINLESSSTEEL_1.jpg
. The screw / nut holding the flaps onto the rod was a bit wide making it hard to get in and out of the glass carboy (scratched the inside of the neck). I got an all plastic one that gets in and out a lot easier. Once they are in there it does work depending on what you are making. I have noticed the whites have a lot of gas and over flow the carboy sometimes. Not sure if it was just the ones I made or if whites hold more gas. There will still be gas in the liquid even after several minutes of stirring. Couldn't imagine using a spoon stir by hand for that.

I use the wine whip pictured above on my drill. It works well, but start slow as a wine volcano will happen really quick in a very gassy wine.

I normally only degas kit wines, and not regular wines.

Thanks guys, probably going to invest in a degasser... I don't see myself branching outside of kit wine for a while... though you never know...

Also, anyone use buckets rather than carboys for wine?

You might be interested in the All in one wine pump, it is a vacuum pump that degasses while it racks (how cool is that), you can not only rack (saves your back from lifting carboys), degass, bottle and filter with it, but they even sell a beer bottling attachment!
I've used this vacuum pump so much since I first bought it, I've put it through hell..lol..it's made my wine making and beer brewing much easier!
And no, I don't work for the company, I just really believe in it!
Check it out at www.allinonewinepump.com you won't regret it.

You might be interested in the All in one wine pump, it is a vacuum pump that degasses while it racks (how cool is that), you can not only rack (saves your back from lifting carboys), degass, bottle and filter with it, but they even sell a beer bottling attachment!
I've used this vacuum pump so much since I first bought it, I've put it through hell..lol..it's made my wine making and beer brewing much easier!
And no, I don't work for the company, I just really believe in it!
Check it out at www.allinonewinepump.com you won't regret it.

How many times do you end up going back and forth? To degas? And you also filter and rack your beer with it?

How many times do you end up going back and forth? To degas? And you also filter and rack your beer with it?

Most kits are racked only once or twice. I don't filter my wine or beer, but I someday will get a pump for racking just to save my poor aching back. :D

You can use buckets for primary, but after that (about day 5-7), you need an appropriately sized carboy. For kits, that tends to be a 6 gallon carboy. You can use a plastic carboy (like a Better Bottle) if you want, but the shape of the carboy is important for reducing headspace so a bucket is not acceptable for secondary.

Most kits are racked only once or twice. I don't filter my wine or beer, but I someday will get a pump for racking just to save my poor aching back. :D

You can use buckets for primary, but after that (about day 5-7), you need an appropriately sized carboy. For kits, that tends to be a 6 gallon carboy. You can use a plastic carboy (like a Better Bottle) if you want, but the shape of the carboy is important for reducing headspace so a bucket is not acceptable for secondary.

Thanks for the info... I racked the kit wine in a bucket for secondary, I racked it yesterday so I will be moving it to a carboy as soon as I get home tonight....

Back