O'Shannon Single Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellmtbbq

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-04
Yeast Starter
NO
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 72 F
Tasting Notes
Fairly simple Irish Stout, but with Flaked Oats instead of Flaked Barley.
Calculated to 75% efficency. Turns out a fine stout at 70% with no adjustments.

Brewing a second batch of this on Saturday. First round was delicious! I thought this up reading some of the grists on (Shut Up About) Barclay Perkins. Also, forget the BJCP guidelines on dry stouts, no stout deserves to be below 1050 OG.

I find Pearl as a good, cheaper substitute for Maris Otter, especially since half of MO isn't real Maris Otter, but substitute if you wish. Please at least use an English pale malt, and for Gods sake, no crystal malt. Thomas Fawcett Amber is a decent substitute for biscuit. Make sure your roasted barley is 400+ SRM, it's different from most American stuff at 275-325 SRM. And use cheap generic brand oats.

6 LBs Thomas Fawcett Pearl Malt, UK, 3 SRM, 60%
2 LBs Flaked Oats, US, 1 SRM, 20%
1 LB Biscuit Malt, UK, 28 SRM, 10%
1 LB Roasted Barley, UK, 450 SRM, 10%

1.5 oz US Goldings, 5% AA, 60 Minutes.

Any English variety will do, 7.5 AA. Challenger, EKG, Fuggles, Styrian all work.

I used S-04 on the first batch, but I will try Wyeast 1318 on the next batch.

Simple enough. 60-20-10-10. Very nice stout. Pictures in a few weeks.

Thanks and enjoy,

If you are going old school, go with black malt vs roast barley. The "stouts need roast barley" thing is a modern idea.

gbx said:
If you are going old school, go with black malt vs roast barley. The "stouts need roast barley" thing is a modern idea.

You are partially correct. Roasted Barley wasn't legal till 1880, but Black Patent would have been used in London porters and stouts. I don't think they used black parent in Ireland, as the name of the recipe suggests.

Then again, we are using flaked, unmalted oats, which violates three historical guidelines. So if you want a perfect pre 1880 historical recipe, I can supply, but this isn't. However for a turn of a century Irish stout, replace oats with flaked barley and you got the perfect recipe

gbx said:

Edited and fixed. Thanks and go brew it!

Didn't get to brew this weekend, maybe in a couple weekends I'll get it done. I do want to have it on cask soon- this beer will be awesome after going through a beer engine into Nonic half pint glasses

I've brewed the Pale, Amber, Black 1883 Guinness Single Stout that was done on Brewing TV a couple times. The first I used MFB sp aromatic for the amber, 50/50 chocolate and black patent and 2 year old fuggles, wlp006 and Bret C. This year I used fawcetts amber, black patent, styrian goldings, nottingham. The original one was good but the bret C went really sour. This years version is good but I think don't like styrian and dark malts (i went with them b/c they were the lowest AA hops I had) I still have a few gallons of the original and I've tried blending them, interesting but i think the one is too old and sour and the other is still too fresh. Maybe in a month or 2 once the hops have faded a bit it will work better.

...and beer engine, I gotta get one..

gbx said:
I've brewed the Pale, Amber, Black 1883 Guinness Single Stout that was done on Brewing TV a couple times. The first I used MFB sp aromatic for the amber, 50/50 chocolate and black patent and 2 year old fuggles, wlp006 and Bret C. This year I used fawcetts amber, black patent, styrian goldings, nottingham. The original one was good but the bret C went really sour. This years version is good but I think don't like styrian and dark malts (i went with them b/c they were the lowest AA hops I had) I still have a few gallons of the original and I've tried blending them, interesting but i think the one is too old and sour and the other is still too fresh. Maybe in a month or 2 once the hops have faded a bit it will work better.

...and beer engine, I gotta get one..

I'm not very familiar with that episode of BrewingTV but I suppose I remember the 1883 stout. Ronald at Barclay Perkins doesn't post recipes, just hundreds of different grists. I will be brewing a 1804 Whitbread porter in a few weeks

Yeah...the recipe was from the only table with any Guinness grists. Not a lot of details so I could brew it every St. Patricks day for the rest of my live and never repeat myself:) Here is a Let's Brew thread I started and was hoping it would catch on...maybe I shouldn't have typoed the title:( Post about your historic brews here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/subp-lets-brew-wednesday-thread-384441/

Back