Does any British brewery actually use Maris Otter malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashed4

Reaction score
I love my Maris Otter. It adds a nice depth of character to british pale ales.

It occurred to me though that I have never actually heard of any british brewery actually using it. They always use some standard british pale ale malt, rarely will they list the cultivar, and if they know the cultivar, it is never maris otter...

So, prove me wrong.. Is maris otter only purchased by home brewers and small breweries / brew pubs? I am sure not.. but can anybody recall of commercial brewers that actually use the damned thing?

Otter Brewery in Devon lists MO as the base malt for all of its ales. I saw this factoid on the Otter website earlier today.

Sorry for no link...I'm on my smartphone.

Between Maris Otter and Golden Promise, yes, there are. Believe it or not, sometimes those two malts become intertwined and used as synonyms. Obviously they are different, but I'm just saying. Standard British Pale is typically the Pearl strain of Barley, like what Munton's uses.

Maris Otter:
Fuller's Vintage Ale (malt does change year to year)
Stroud's Vintage Ale

Golden Promise:
Fuller's 1845
Timothy Taylor Landlord

This is a small list for sure, but Maris Otter and Golden Promise are not always available to brewers, believe it or not. That is why they are so special. Special and tasty!

Just picked that up last night.

image-3483418483.jpg

image-3195692836.jpg

It was good, and I'll definitely keep looking for it, never would've picked it up except bev mo had it for 2.99 for the bomber.

Latest posts

Back