Simcoe and "dankness"....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskii

Reaction score
Can anyone describe "DANK" to me?

I have just tasted the 14 day gravity sample on a Simcoe/Amarillo IPA (OG 1.070 now 1.006!) and want to know if what I'm getting is what I should2 be getting. It's intense -and I just dry hopped it with an ounce of each.

Its BO-ish, yes?

* btw; .75 oz Columbus @60, 1oz each Amarillo/ Simcoe @15, 1oz Simcoe @ flameout.

Taste sample is @ 14th day pre- dryhop w/ 1oz each Amarillo/Simcoe

Simcoe isn't usually "dank", its a unique combination of pine with a dull/mellow type of citrus in the background, and sometimes produces a cat-pee like note that I suppose could be interpreted as a sharp body odor (though keep in mind I am not familiar with the original "dank" plant).

It's more likely the CTZ at 60'. That's one of those bittering hops that leaves behind a residual flavor.

It's oddly not offensive... It's absolutely NOT a cheese/ oxidized hop note but more like a used gym shirt freshly sprayed with grapefruit air freshener.
( I'm making myself sick just reading that) it really is not as bad as it sounds and I'm not a freak... I swear!

i have found that beers with late/dry simcoe get really cat pissy as they age and the piney hop character fades

Brewskii said:
It's oddly not offensive... It's absolutely NOT a cheese/ oxidized hop note but more like a used gym shirt freshly sprayed with grapefruit air freshener.
( I'm making myself sick just reading that) it really is not as bad as it sounds and I'm not a freak... I swear!

I think you just described dank.

There are a few commercial beers I call "CATTY" out of politeness, and all are dry hopped Simcoe additions. Some friends say they dont smell it at all, but I cant even put the glass to my lips w/o holding my breath lest I gag...

So I avoid those.

I did a pale ale recently with Magnum for bittering and all Simcoe and Amarillo for flavor/aroma and for dry hopping. The beer tasted like grapefruit juice. Fortunately I love grapefruit juice so I really enjoyed it.

I did a pale ale recently with Magnum for bittering and all Simcoe and Amarillo for flavor/aroma and for dry hopping. The beer tasted like grapefruit juice. Fortunately I love grapefruit juice so I really enjoyed it.

Just put my IPA in the secondary this weekend with an oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo only difference is I used Columbus and Cascade for my bittering hops. I can't wait

Well, dank or not, this is an awesome beer so far. This is a recipie I have brewed many times but with Willamette and Nugget ( I call it "Right in the Nuggets" for reasons that are obvious to me alone I'm sure). I brewed this to be the exact same only using Amarillo and Simcoe. I am brewing these side by side so as to get a good idea what all the hubbub is about. I do love this beer though... I am really happy to be able to do it side by side with the simcoe version.

Can't wait till their mature!

Columbus and Chinook I think are the dank aromas. Also, Summit can be dank at times... Apollo too. I do not find Simcoe to be dank.

10 cats peeing on a pine tree... LOL!

Columbus is danky no question. First time I used some I was really struck how their smell just clings to the air.

I think of Columbus, centennial, any maybe chinook as being good 'dank' hops

Interesting. I think of Centennial and a bright, floral and fruity hop - I call it the Fruit Loops or Juicy Fruit hop.

I'm about to keg my red ipa that I did with magnum for bittering, then a mix of simcoe and citra. I'm going to dry hop with 2oz of Amarillo. Its going to be awesome.

So what are some commercial examples of dankness? I've seen chinook listed a few times as being dank, but is Arrogant Bastard dank? I believe that's all chinook.

HolyKrausenBatman said:
So what are some commercial examples of dankness? I've seen chinook listed a few times as being dank, but is Arrogant Bastard dank? I believe that's all chinook.

On the BN Jamil show there is an episode I just reviewed on the IIPA called " the Dankness". they surprisingly did not get into what dank is except to say it smells like " a fresh bag of weed". They go on to mention CTZ, Apollo, and a little bit about Simcoe as examples.

I find arrogant bastard to be pretty dank. I'm with those who think of Chinook, Centennial, and Columbus (especially Columbus) when I think dank. I get it from simcoe only when it's blended with other hops; on it's own I get more of a tropical thing, and pine if I look for it.

I hear everyone talking about cat piss, and I've never had cats and never smelled their pis. It's getting to the point that I'm gonna ask someone to have their cat piss on a piece of paper and mail it to me.

I hear everyone talking about cat piss, and I've never had cats and never smelled their pis. It's getting to the point that I'm gonna ask someone to have their cat piss on a piece of paper and mail it to me.

A few weeks ago, I was cleaning out my cat's litter box, and he must've just taken a leak or something, but I swear to you that I smelled it (by accident, not on purpose), and was like, damn, that cat piss smells like hops! Now I understand what people are talking about. I've never used simcoe, but I can understand how a hop could have that aroma.

Update: Bottling day; 3 weeks in the fermenter (10 days on dry hops) and cattiness is distant in the back. Pine is prevalent and this is a yummy one. The bitterness in the tail end is more prevalent that I expected from the recipie brewed to the same IBU with Willamette/Nugget but that's probably got more to do with its being very young.

I would not describe this as dank at all. As other posters suggest, it may get more so as time goes by.

Back