The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Jeffo- These were specifically Reinhart's "NYstyle" dough. IIRC the formula used a lot of yeast and oil, like .4% and 6% respectively, more than a standard dough would use. Also, this dough is more hydrated than a typical pizza dough, about 67%. These factors combined would lead to a greater oven spring, I would think. My dough balls weighed 570 grams for a 15-16 inch pizza. These pies were cold fermented 2 or 3 days as I recall. 2 more dough balls from the same batch were baked after 5 or 6 days. They didn't rise quite as much in the oven but I think the longer ferment imparted a better flavor. I think I have those pictures on my other computer if you're interested.

I do mine one the grill in the summer, but lately I've been using a pizza stone right under the broiler. It's nearly 700 under there.

image-2202988302.jpg

@Jeffo- These were specifically Reinhart's "NYstyle" dough. IIRC the formula used a lot of yeast and oil, like .4% and 6% respectively, more than a standard dough would use. Also, this dough is more hydrated than a typical pizza dough, about 67%. These factors combined would lead to a greater oven spring, I would think. My dough balls weighed 570 grams for a 15-16 inch pizza. These pies were cold fermented 2 or 3 days as I recall. 2 more dough balls from the same batch were baked after 5 or 6 days. They didn't rise quite as much in the oven but I think the longer ferment imparted a better flavor. I think I have those pictures on my other computer if you're interested.

Ahhhh...Gotcha! I had this as my bookmark: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html. While very good, like I said, I'm looking for your style as well, which I found here: http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/169-ny-style-pizza-dough.html.

Thank you!

@Jeffo- Yeah, that second link is what I used but with minor changes. I went back to my notes a bit and noticed I used 62% hydration, not 67. Also, 4% honey and .5% quick rise or instant yeast. 570 grams per dough ball for a 16 inch pie makes for a nice puffy rim and slightly thicker than a classic N.Y. style pizza. Lastly, I noticed that the pies in my photos were baked after 4 full days of cold fermentation, not just 2.
I might add that flour selection can greatly affect the outcome of your pizza. For these pies, I used King Arthur "Sir Lancelot" hi-gluten. Most high protein flours should work, just not all purpose.

Ok, now I'm just bragging. This is what the free standing oven in the back yard looks like now.

DEAR GOD.........sorry missed that the first time. AWESOME.

[

Does it actually ferment in the fridge?

The Pizza dough do, but the bread don't. I do two rises on the bread, one in the bowl and one in the bread pans and I was amazed on how good it came out. So good, I'll never want to buy store bought bread again. Even my wife loves it. :mug:

Gotcha. Thanks! That helps, but I guess I wondered if the bread yeast actually ferments when it is so cold.

@Evets- I've done Reinhart's dough as well. I haven't kept it in the fridge longer than overnight, but my pizza's don't look like the pizza's you made in your post #16. Do you just use more dough to make a larger pizza? I've only ever made them "thin crust" style, so I'm wondering if you've just made yours thicker? Maybe you're getting more lift in your crust due to leaving them in the fridge for 3 days? I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions, as those pizzas look phenomenal.

The cross section has huge bubbles. I am guessing that the fridge and subsequent re-heat kick start the yeast, and the glutens quasi gelatinize.......Where TF is Alton Brown?

Don't take everything he says as gospel, but his science and rest times are probably very sound.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pizza-pizzas-recipe/index.html

Actually his pizza dough episode is a classic, I think you can youtube it. The part with the barbie doll sends me into fits of laughter each time.

I do mine one the grill in the summer, but lately I've been using a pizza stone right under the broiler. It's nearly 700 under there.

I do a grilled pizza where I push the dough out in a pan of olive oil. Turns out great and crispy.

@Jeffo- Yeah, that second link is what I used but with minor changes. I went back to my notes a bit and noticed I used 62% hydration, not 67. Also, 4% honey and .5% quick rise or instant yeast. 570 grams per dough ball for a 16 inch pie makes for a nice puffy rim and slightly thicker than a classic N.Y. style pizza. Lastly, I noticed that the pies in my photos were baked after 4 full days of cold fermentation, not just 2.
I might add that flour selection can greatly affect the outcome of your pizza. For these pies, I used King Arthur "Sir Lancelot" hi-gluten. Most high protein flours should work, just not all purpose.

you are changing my life brother! Thank you.

Actually his pizza dough episode is a classic, I think you can youtube it. The part with the barbie doll sends me into fits of laughter each time.

;)

Evets, would you mind breaking down how you calculate hydration percentages? I'm a simple a**, but would like to learn.

Hugh_Jass said:
Evets, would you mind breaking down how you calculate hydration percentages? I'm a simple a**, but would like to learn.

In any professional dough recipe, the flour represents 100%, while the the other ingredients are percentages of that. For example
Water 64%
Flour 100 grams
Water 64 grams

Just like with brewing, it's easier to scale recipes that way instead of using actual quantities

So now I need a scale......;)

I am a texture guy (as I am a brew from the hip guy) so I will wing the hydration, but everything else here is golden.

That white bread looks phenomenal. Looks like a really soft, gauzy texture. My white bread tastes great but is too dense! Not particularly chewy, and the crumb is good, but it feels dense instead of light and "gauzy" as it's supposed to. Sorry; pretty OT I guess but that picture of white bread is taunting me.

The white bread is staring me in the eyes, reminding me of my failure as a husband and father.

In any professional dough recipe, the flour represents 100%, while the the other ingredients are percentages of that. For example
Water 64%
Flour 100 grams
Water 64 grams

Just like with brewing, it's easier to scale recipes that way instead of using actual quantities

What water do you use for hydration? Additionally, I was thinking beer as a hydration liquid. Thoughts?

Hugh_Jass said:

What water do you use for hydration? Additionally, I was thinking beer as a hydration liquid. Thoughts?

I use filtered tap water. I've used beer lots of times. Used an IIPA in pizza crust once. It was... Interesting.

As for water, I actually really like the taste of my tap water, so I use it for both brewing and baking. I don't know why but I've never used beer in pizza dough. I guess I'd rather just eat a pure pizza, and wash it down with beer.

That white bread looks phenomenal. Looks like a really soft, gauzy texture. My white bread tastes great but is too dense! Not particularly chewy, and the crumb is good, but it feels dense instead of light and "gauzy" as it's supposed to. Sorry; pretty OT I guess but that picture of white bread is taunting me.

It really is good and light. Even my wife was impressed.

Three bags in the fridge......

One with my typical white recipe, but all of these will be fridge fermented for 3 days. (pale yellow)

One with the same all white recipe, but with 1/2 water 1/2 imperial stout.(light light brown)

One recipe 80% white flour 20% wheat, no water, all stout, extra sugar.(pretty effing dark brown)

Excited am I!

Do you all source semolina and other specialty flours from the mega-marts?

Maybe. I need to visit a couple of local stores to see what they have. Flour isn't exciting enough to be mentioned on any of their websites.

holy unfiltered bat excrement!!!!
ForumRunner_20120425_194841.jpg

The flavor is Perfect, texture is awesome!

ForumRunner_20120425_194853.jpg

1 DAY in fridge the 1/2 stout crust is insane. Sweet, great texture and complexity....

Last time we brewed I made pizza dough with the spent grain. It was AMAZING.

(it was porter grains and we used that bob's red mill whole wheat flour fwiw.)

Tried the same crust last night, but 2 days in fridge......good, but I am overdoing pizza. Hard to note any differences when my mouth is like "REALLY??? pizza again?

Pizza overload. Yeah, I get that too.
I made three yesterday afternoon. These were Reinhart dough that were meant to bake in the electric kitchen oven, but my oven broke down, so I had to fire up the outdoor oven. I'm now awaiting delivery of my new kitchen range.
These baked in 3-3.5 minutes at +/- 700.

oven 174.jpg

oven 178.jpg

oven 184.jpg

oven 188.jpg

oven 189.jpg

THAT IS AWESOME!

My pizzas turned out great. My small kids didn't eat much......they didn't like the crust;)

I did a thread title search for "pizza" and nothing popped up so I figured it was high time to start one. I've seen some pretty fine craft pizzas scattered around on other threads so let's compile them here along with the ones we haven't yet seen.

Here's a few from my kitchen, Cheezy and Evets are also making some really good looking pies so hopefully they'll post them up here too...

photo_zpsa575276a.jpg

photo-2_zpscdcfbd42.jpg

photo-2_zps53cafe32.jpg

photo-2_zps23466678.jpg

photo-2_zpsffaa3fcc.jpg

What the rest of you all got??? :mug:

Headbanger i will be making my home made pizza tonight i will make sure to take a pic, man does that look delicious whats your dough recipe?

ps. where do i get info on the smileys i would like to know how to make the cheersing one!

Headbanger i will be making my home made pizza tonight i will make sure to take a pic, man does that look delicious whats your dough recipe?

Great, I'll be looking forward to seeing it!

I'm in the process of converting to sourdough for my pizzas. If you're interested in that and want the best info available get this book and order a starter or two as well from the same site. Varasano's site is also a very good resource for all things pizza.

The dough I was using is basically as follows, I hardly ever get too stringent with measurements, especially with dough, so just play around with it until you get something you like.

2 cups bread flour
1-2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
3/4 - 1 cup warm water
1-2 tsp sugar or honey (optional but usually missed by SWBMO if I omit it)
1 tsp rapid rise yeast

I use a bread machine on pizza dough program, this will make enough dough for two medium sized NY style pizzas. I've heard that a KA mixer does a better job of kneading but the bread machine does a pretty decent job of it.

You can also do sourdough in a bread machine but you have to increase the rise times quite a bit, the first rise usually takes 8 hours or so followed by more kneading which is followed by another 3 hour rise. I have one in the bread machine now that should be ready for the second knead when I get home so hopefully I'll have a new picture to post tomorrow as well.

thanks man i will have to try that out ! looking at those pies is killing me ! cant wait till later today for mine .\
cheers smon

Nice.

It looks as if I'm going to have to get a decent pizza stone for my gas oven and maybe try some spent-grain dough recipes.

I'd be interested in hearing about specific sauce recipes, too.

Man... I'm hungry for some pizza!

2 cups bread flour
1-2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
3/4 - 1 cup warm water
1-2 tsp sugar or honey (optional but usually missed by SWBMO if I omit it)
1 tsp rapid rise yeast

close to my recipe

in addition to the sugar, instead of honey I use 3 tablespoons light corn syrup and 1 tablespoon molasses. though it's been awhile since I actually made this. years. so I might be wrong about tablespoons vs teaspoons

Nice.

It looks as if I'm going to have to get a decent pizza stone for my gas oven and maybe try some spent-grain dough recipes.

I'd be interested in hearing about specific sauce recipes, too.

Man... I'm hungry for some pizza!

Varasano is somewhat of a pizza purist if there is such a thing. According to him one of the keys to good pizza sauce is not cooking it twice. He details his sauce recipe on his website if you want to check it out and, surprisingly, it's really a very simple recipe.

His sauce is very similar to what I use except I usually add some granulated garlic and onion in mine. If I want to add fresh herbs I add them when the pizza is done, not to the sauce, same applies to fresh garlic and onions.

Back