California Honeymoon- Destination Advice Needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msu09

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm booking my honeymoon in California and we've come upon a stumbling block. We want to do San Francisco (Wine, Alcatraz, Parks, ect.) and drive down highway one in a convertible. We had initially planned on going to San Diego for a while but can't seem to find anything fun to do (besides the zoo). Any suggestions? Should we skip San Diego and go somewhere else? We were planning on spending a night in Santa Barbra and that was about as far as we got. Any good beer locations to hit up?

Thanks for the input!

FYI- We're from Michigan and have never been to Cali

Santa Cruz is fun. But I'd go north, Muir woods, into Sonoma, you could visit Russian River Brewery (santa rosa), then the drive down the coast is breathtaking.

North of the wine country there are some great bed & breakfasts. I think that country N of SF is the nicest place on earth.

South of San Francisco, make sure to stop at Duarte's restaurant (Pescadero) for a little bit of history and some superb Artichoke soup (and a very eclectic menu). Fun.

We'll be doing San Francisco for sure. We're trying to decide if we should stay in San Francisco for 10 days or head around the rest of the state.

Maybe we'll drive north or something. I've always wanted to try out Russian River, maybe we'll hit that up.

Any other suggestions?

But I'd go north, Muir woods, into Sonoma, you could visit Russian River Brewery (santa rosa), then the drive down the coast is breathtaking.

North of the wine country there are some great bed & breakfasts. I think that country N of SF is the nicest place on earth.

+1,000 Totally awesome place. Drive around & explore together.

My bro & his wife did the drive down the coast for their honeymoon & loved it. Stayed 2-3 days in wine country then drove down to San Diego.

But don't be fooled - there is plenty to do in San Diego. And plenty of beer.

Morro Bay is a nice little quaint fishing village on the coast heading south. Looks like Maine. Big rock in the middle of the bay. Its a good quick stopover.

Plasticland aka LA is loaded with things to do, from Hwood, Disney, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, etc etc, to Malibu and Zuma beaches.

San Diego has a lot to offer too.

I'll second the Santa Cruz suggestion, but since I live there maybe I'm biased... The Santa Cruz area has great parks (Big Basin, Henry Cowell Redwoods, The Forest of Nisene Marks) and beaches, and there are lots of wineries to visit as well as Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing and Seabright Brewery. If you head south on Highway 1 from here, you can stop at any of the following places:

* Monterey: spectacular aquarium and Cannery Row
* Big Sur: beautiful views of the ocean and great camping
* Morro Bay: small but very cute town with a great bay and beaches
* San Luis Obispo: college town, quirky and fun
* Santa Barbara: always feels like a mixture of Southern and Northern California to me

One thing that surprises first time visitors is how big the state is. The drive from Santa Cruz to San Luis Obispo takes almost four hours when you go down Highway 101, the larger inland road that parallels Highway 1. The quickest route from San Francisco to Los Angeles can take 5 1/2 hours or more depending on traffic.

I also lived in San Diego for a while, and can recommend all of the little beach towns north of the city itself: Oceanside, Carlsbad, and Encinitas are cool little surfing towns; Del Mar and La Jolla are more upscale with shopping and mansions. In addition to the San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Sea World, and Balboa Park, you can also take a day trip to Tijuana if you are so inclined.

If you like desert more than beach (who am I to judge?), consider visiting Joshua Tree National Park and Death Valley in Southern California. Want to see mountains? Drive up to Lake Tahoe and ski, hike, or mountain bike, depending on the season. There is tons of stuff to do out west!

When in SF, make sure to
  • WALK the golden gate bridge
  • visit Alcatraz by ferry (might book ahead, and yes do the audio tour)
  • visit Sausalito
  • WALK lombardi street, then continue down to the wharf,
  • get some seafood (clam chowder)
  • wonder around Girardhelli Square,
  • get lost in Chinatown and eat at the lousiest place you can find
  • If you stay downtown at the Four Seasons, ask for Squeerdo and tell him his brother sent you... you'll be set
  • The lighthouses along the coast are fantastic. If you go north, Reyes Point is very, very cool, and IMO a can't-miss place.

When are you coming? Time of year makes a big difference as to what you want to do. If you are lucky enough to be coming in September/ October then stay on the coast. I'd head north.

If you are coming in the summer, I'd head south or inland because fog will likely suck along the coast and in SF. No shortage of things to do.

I grew up just outside San Jose. IMHO, trying to do Northern and Southern California in one trip (I'm guessing two weeks???) is too much. Either start in Monterey and head north to the wine country, or start in San Diego and head to Santa Barbara.

PS- I've never heard anyone who is a native Californian call it "cali". Same thing with "frisco", except they are a little touchy about it.

I'll second the Santa Cruz suggestion, but since I live there maybe I'm biased... The Santa Cruz area has great parks (Big Basin, Henry Cowell Redwoods, The Forest of Nisene Marks) and beaches, and there are lots of wineries to visit as well as Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing and Seabright Brewery. If you head south on Highway 1 from here, you can stop at any of the following places:

* Monterey: spectacular aquarium and Cannery Row
* Big Sur: beautiful views of the ocean and great camping
* Morro Bay: small but very cute town with a great bay and beaches
* San Luis Obispo: college town, quirky and fun
* Santa Barbara: always feels like a mixture of Southern and Northern California to me

One thing that surprises first time visitors is how big the state is. The drive from Santa Cruz to San Luis Obispo takes almost four hours when you go down Highway 101, the larger inland road that parallels Highway 1. The quickest route from San Francisco to Los Angeles can take 5 1/2 hours or more depending on traffic.

I also lived in San Diego for a while, and can recommend all of the little beach towns north of the city itself: Oceanside, Carlsbad, and Encinitas are cool little surfing towns; Del Mar and La Jolla are more upscale with shopping and mansions. In addition to the San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Sea World, and Balboa Park, you can also take a day trip to Tijuana if you are so inclined.

If you like desert more than beach (who am I to judge?), consider visiting Joshua Tree National Park and Death Valley in Southern California. Want to see mountains? Drive up to Lake Tahoe and ski, hike, or mountain bike, depending on the season. There is tons of stuff to do out west!

I second this list! SF is great but not worth spending 10 days there. Go ahead and make your way along the coast, there's a lot to see. Starting in SF is really more like starting the center so you'll have to choose between heading North or South. I'd head South. Trust me, you can make this trip in the time you have. I've driven it many times.

In San Luis Obispo, check out SLO brewing Company. They have great live bands (some big names) almost every night. You can check out Hearst Castle while there too. When you're in the Santa Barbara neighborhood take a jaunt over to the cute little dutch village called Solvang. In Thousand Oaks is a cool little place called Brat Brothers, they make their own sausages in some really unique flavors.

Once you get closer to San Diego the beer possibilities are almost endless. In Escondido is Stone Brewing Co. They give free tours, and a free sample of 4 of their beers at the end of the tour. Also Check out Pizza Port for great beer and Pizza. In San Diego, the San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park are right next to each other. There's a lot to do at Balboa Park, and I personally like the zoo better than the wild animal park.

Hello All,

I'm booking my honeymoon in California and we've come upon a stumbling block. We want to do San Francisco (Wine, Alcatraz, Parks, ect.) and drive down highway one in a convertible. We had initially planned on going to San Diego for a while but can't seem to find anything fun to do (besides the zoo). Any suggestions? Should we skip San Diego and go somewhere else? We were planning on spending a night in Santa Barbra and that was about as far as we got. Any good beer locations to hit up?

Thanks for the input!

FYI- We're from Michigan and have never been to Cali

Starting in SF, my neck of the woods and heading down towards my home town areas. Couple things. Brew in the Bay Area, hit up Toronado in SF and if adventurous Beer Revolution in Oakland. Great beer at both. On the trip down the 1 going through Big Sur hit up a restaurant called Nepenthe, trust me this place is ridiculous. Go for lunch of even just a glass of wine. It over looks the ocean from the top of a cliff, your soon to be bride will love it. Took my wife there on our honeymoon, it is very romantic. Lasty, do not skip San Diego. San Diego is the second greatest town in California Next to of course SF. It's a wonderful place and the zoo really is something that you will be amazed at. Also, while in San Diego hit up the Stone Brewery and Ale Smith. Plus Green Flash is down there. It is a top 5 city I've ever been to. Have fun man.

Was in Monterey this last weekend for a buddy's wedding. The Sanctuary Beach Resort in Marina is about 10 miles north and has a couple cottage type rooms overlooking the beach, and an overlook with a fire pit. London Bridge Pub in Monterey is always good, just a quick drive up the road from Monterey Bay Aquarium. There is a kayak rental right next to the pub.

With any coastal town from San Francisco South, once you know when you are going, start googling for special events the each town/city. Some of the cultural street fairs and presentations are really fun.

Thank you guys for all of the great ideas! I think that we are going to spend 3 days in SF, go up to Sonoma or Napa for a day or two and drive down Highway 1 (and see some of the wonderful sights that you guys recommended) all the way to San Diego. Any recommendations on things to do in San Diego (I get the vibe that there is a lot in S.F. and along the way). We'll be doing the Zoo, but we were deciding how much else there was to do. Is San Diego walkable like S.F.? Does it have a nice night life?

F.Y.I. Were going at the end of July/Early August.

I used to have a friend when I was younger who lived in Windsor, CA. I think that I got the "Cali" thing from him...

San Diego:

North county is awesome...Carlsbad, Del Mar, Solana Beach and Escondido. Less crowded (relatively) than the city itself and less touristy. No idea on night life.

• Tony's Jacal - small little Mexican restaurant in EG. My dad grew up down the street; family has been going there for 50+ years. Incredible food, atmosphere, etc. Can't miss.
  • Del Mar beach, we like 22nd street.
  • Drive through Rancho Santa Fe. Bring a map, easy to get lost. Drool over the beauty.
  • Grab some fresh veggies from Chino's. Produce from heaven.

Thank you guys for all of the great ideas! I think that we are going to spend 3 days in SF, go up to Sonoma or Napa for a day or two and drive down Highway 1 (and see some of the wonderful sights that you guys recommended) all the way to San Diego. Any recommendations on things to do in San Diego (I get the vibe that there is a lot in S.F. and along the way). We'll be doing the Zoo, but we were deciding how much else there was to do. Is San Diego walkable like S.F.? Does it have a nice night life?

F.Y.I. Were going at the end of July/Early August.

I used to have a friend when I was younger who lived in Windsor, CA. I think that I got the "Cali" thing from him...

Downtown is walkable. Nightlife is laid back and fun. It's a great beer town. I can't express this enough, go to STONE BREWERY. The weather will be amazing that time of year down there, you'll have a great time. Also, eat Mexican food in San Diego and lots of it, you can't get better Mexican anywhere in the country. Fish Tacos and Beer and warm coastal nights, great ****ing town.

Old town San Diego is great. Guadalupe's was one of my favorite Mexican places. La Jolla cove is beautiful and cool to check out all of the seals. Balboa park is fun if you like museums and the like.

I'll chime in since it is my favorite vacation ever.

1.) We stayed at Grosvenor Suites. Small, older, but had a little kitchenette and a great location. (Close to trolleys, buses, etc.)
2. Alcatraz was really cool. We actually got to go up into the lighthouse. A great view for sure.
3. Golden gate park was massive and a lot of fun.
4. Walked all over and ha a blast.
5. Do Chinatown and I wish we had done their farmers market. Great street food I am told.

Gettting out of town.
1. Stinson Beach and Muir woods were pretty cool.
2. Sonoma/Napa is beautiful countyside and fun.
3. Wish we had made it to Big Sur. Awesome I am told.
4. Yosemite - A bit of a drive but absolutely fantastic. (If you are into that nature type stuff)

Tons to do in and out of SF. Writing this makes me want to book some tickets now. Great HM choice. Enjoy

Just gonna put this out there, my wife and I spent our honeymoon in Disneyland (we're 35 and 30) and had a blast!

7 days of nothing but wake up, go to the park for most of the morning and early afternoon, walk back buying cheap US liquor at corner stores (a novelty for us Canadians), drink by the pool at the hotel.

It was pretty nice, but may not be up everyone's alley. Free park passes for the whole time helped of course, without that the cost would have been much higher, this naturally influenced our decision.

I can't thank you guys enough for the help! I'm glad that I could inspire some of you to take trips out this summer :)

We decided on staying three days in SF, one day in Napa, driving down the coast to Santa Cruz for one day, driving to Santa Barbara for one day, and driving to San Diego for 3 more days. Your recommendations helped us set that up! Now I just have to create a definitive list of bars/breweries/pubs that we want to visit at each location... I'll definitely be pulling from your lists!

Back