Scale down help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalpysko

Reaction score
I want to scale down a 5 gallon batch to a 1 galling batch what method would I use and how would it effect my outcome on trying to maintain the flavor if I wanted to scale it to 5 gallons just saying if it I plan on brewing every style of beer just to get my hands real deep in brewing all grain preferably?

To scale a 5 gallon batch down to 1 gallon, just divide all ingredients by 5.

For example...

10lbs Pilsner malt
4oz Saaz hops

Becomes:

2lbs pilsner malt
0.8oz Saaz hops

metalpysko said:
Really? Is it just that simple

No, you then have to multiply by Avogadro's number: 6.022141527 x 10^23

Only then will you have your recipe.

Hunter

Sorry... I forget that sarcasm, even in good humor, doesn't translate via text.

Avogadro's number is only necessary on a molecular level. ;)

Hunter

So is boil size not important in regards to hops utilization? On this scale it would probably make a negligible difference either way, but I always thought your IBU numbers would be a little off if you just scaled the hops down linearly. Am I misinformed here?

Density/gravity of the boil is what matters, which is why knowing your boil size is important. If you scaled it right, should be the same gravity, so util should be same at 1g or 5g. At least that's my understanding - someone please correct me if boil size matters on total and not relative (to sugars) basis.

I started w/5 gallon Cooper's Kits. Got tired of drinking 50 bottles of the same stuff. shifted to BIAB 1 gallon batches. Not quite enough to last a week so I moved up to 1.5 and now 1.75 gallons. I usually wind up w/around 1.8 gallons and about 17 bottles. I love the variety. I usually make my own recipes buy looking up the basics of a brew at a place like:

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Index

I also use Designing Better Beers and then do the rest on my own w/BeerSmith "looking over my shoulder". Been pretty happy w/the combo

Good luck on your brews.

Latest posts

Back