American Porter Bert Grant's Perfect Porter tribute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So im lookin at brewin up a nice porter, and the only thing holding me back at all from this recipe is the mash schedule. I have a cooler mash tan, and have been toying with the idea of just doing the mash schedule with decoction, rather than tryin to add water in intervals. Any thoughts on this?

Just go for a single infusion. I did that on the last batch and it was fine. In fact I should change that.

I looked into it a bit more and it seems the cooler tun can work pretty effeciently for decoction. I kinda got pumped for the challenge, so i might try ahead with that. Was there really no noticable difference between the step mashed batch vs the single infusion though?

I looked into it a bit more and it seems the cooler tun can work pretty effeciently for decoction. I kinda got pumped for the challenge, so i might try ahead with that. Was there really no noticable difference between the step mashed batch vs the single infusion though?

I can't compare specifically because I changed the recipe for my latest version but I don't think so.

hmm, well i might still try it just for the experienc and whatnot. What do you think about the head retention? would i even need to bother adding anything extra?

hmm, well i might still try it just for the experienc and whatnot. What do you think about the head retention? would i even need to bother adding anything extra?

if you really want head retention you could toss in a 3-5% wheat. The downfall of all this chocolate is weak head retention or lack of a head to begin with.

I dont' mind though.

yeah, i love the head retention that comes with torrified wheat. i was just thinking the flaked barley would fit the profile a little more, if there was even enough of a percent to add to flavor. thanks for all the input, and the recipe!

yeah, i love the head retention that comes with torrified wheat. i was just thinking the flaked barley would fit the profile a little more, if there was even enough of a percent to add to flavor. thanks for all the input, and the recipe!

yeah, the real stars of this show is the peat, chocolate and the Edinburgh yeast. If you have those in there, you should be good.

For those who think the Edinburgh yeast won't attenuate enough, mash lower, it will.

yeah, the real stars of this show is the peat, chocolate and the Edinburgh yeast. If you have those in there, you should be good.

Perfectly summed up this beer in this sentence. Im hopefully gonna keg this tomorrow. I just gotta finish up a american stout I have tonight.

Looks like im gonna be brewing another batch of this again this weekend. Blew my keg on Saturday night.

I am going to order that kit and brew it and the extract recipe I posted on the first page and compare later.

Show-off.
Please report back. I'll do the same if the temps here ever drop enough for that yeast

yeah, let us know how the kit works out. I am curious if they have peat in there which I think has to be mashed, not sure on that though. It is such a small amount anyways but sure makes the difference.

I got the kit and I am brewing it now. It does have peat and it is hopped different. I subbed out the london for edinburgh, otherwise I am following the recipe. My grain bill back in post 20 is surprisingly close.

I bottled it 9/4. I will probably sample one this weekend and report back. Prepping the starter for my version now, after a few minor tweaks to bring it in line.

The batch I brewed a few months ago is awesome right now.... Creamy carbonation, delicious flavor. The smoke is subtle but it wouldn't be the same without it. Fantastic beer.

I did a 2.5 gallon batch on my new electric BK Friday night. Brew night went great, I tried a full volume mash on my RIMS system since the grain bill was so small and I wanted it to go a little faster, worked great and I might even consider this on my 5 gallon batches cause everything went so smooth. Had a longer than usual lag time though, the yeast didnt come alive for 24 hours, kinda had me scared for a minute. Woke up on Sunday and checked the fermentation chamber and it was full steam ahead blowing off, still was this AM as well.

I just got back from my LHBS. Unfortunately, they didn't have any WLP028. I THOUGHT I picked up some US-04 since I remembered reading about it on this thread, but when I got home and unpacked - nothing! I'm a pretty good drive from the store, so I really don't want to go back if I can help it. I have two washed yeasts on-hand: Nottingham and a Kolsch Wyeast #2565. I've never used either of those in a porter, but since this sounds like it's a "lighter" porter, I'm wondering if the Nottingham would work. Any opinions?:confused:

I just got back from my LHBS. Unfortunately, they didn't have any WLP028. I THOUGHT I picked up some US-04 since I remembered reading about it on this thread, but when I got home and unpacked - nothing! I'm a pretty good drive from the store, so I really don't want to go back if I can help it. I have two washed yeasts on-hand: Nottingham and a Kolsch Wyeast #2565. I've never used either of those in a porter, but since this sounds like it's a "lighter" porter, I'm wondering if the Nottingham would work. Any opinions?:confused:

out of those 2 yeast options I would definitely go with notty but try it again when you get some Edinburgh, you will like it.

Skelrad, might be to late but I would suggest holding off until you get the Edinburgh. As mentioned in a earlier post its one of the ingredients that makes this recipe so great.

So how much vanilla are people adding to this at bottling? I've seen everything from 1 tsp to a couple tablespoons. I'd like just a hint of vanilla, but nothing too overpowering.

I brewed an adapted version of this recipe And over the month or so that it conditioned, it developed into one of my favorite porters. The peated malt adds tremendous and unique depth. As well I used caramel120 and the combination was great. Good recipe!

So how much vanilla are people adding to this at bottling? I've seen everything from 1 tsp to a couple tablespoons. I'd like just a hint of vanilla, but nothing too overpowering.

1 tsp will be very very very subtle. I will probably do 2 tsp or 1 tbsp the next time around.

this is all per 5G by the way

I took a 2.5 gallon keg to a bachelor party over the weekend and it was gone within 30 minutes with only a handfull of people drinking it. Bert Grant strikes again!!!!

I took a 2.5 gallon keg to a bachelor party over the weekend and it was gone within 30 minutes with only a handfull of people drinking it. Bert Grant strikes again!!!!

honestly, it's just an easy drinkin' beer..... with a crap load of flavor despite what miller has to say about it :)

I just bottled a batch of this yesterday. I'm not much of a dark beer kind of guy (the dark you can chew), but my plan was to brew this for my father and brother-in-law for Thanksgiving. I did my obligatory taste prior to bottling though, and now I'm not sure I want to give it away! It surprised me how good it was straight out of the primary. It's a darkER beer, but definitely not a heavy, overwhelming one. I think what I don't like about many dark porters and stouts is that they tend to get so heavy on the toasted and smoky flavors that it tastes like you're chewing on a piece of burnt firewood and not drinking a beer. This porter is so well balanced that you don't get any one overwhelming flavor though. The flavors really just play off of each other perfectly. And this is prior to any bottle conditioning after the vanilla has been added! Needless to say, I'm looking forward to trying this in a month or so.

I will be interested to brew this one a second time just as a comparison - For this batch I had to use Nottingham, and as luck would have it the weather spiked about 15 degrees while it was actively fermenting (I was away on a business trip so couldn't move the primary to a cooler spot), so I'm pretty sure I fermented higher than I would have liked - probably 70-75 degrees. On the edge for sure. Regardless, the first sample was very promising. Great recipe! :mug:

I just bottled a batch of this yesterday. I'm not much of a dark beer kind of guy (the dark you can chew), but my plan was to brew this for my father and brother-in-law for Thanksgiving. I did my obligatory taste prior to bottling though, and now I'm not sure I want to give it away! It surprised me how good it was straight out of the primary. It's a darkER beer, but definitely not a heavy, overwhelming one. I think what I don't like about many dark porters and stouts is that they tend to get so heavy on the toasted and smoky flavors that it tastes like you're chewing on a piece of burnt firewood and not drinking a beer. This porter is so well balanced that you don't get any one overwhelming flavor though. The flavors really just play off of each other perfectly. And this is prior to any bottle conditioning after the vanilla has been added! Needless to say, I'm looking forward to trying this in a month or so.

I will be interested to brew this one a second time just as a comparison - For this batch I had to use Nottingham, and as luck would have it the weather spiked about 15 degrees while it was actively fermenting (I was away on a business trip so couldn't move the primary to a cooler spot), so I'm pretty sure I fermented higher than I would have liked - probably 70-75 degrees. On the edge for sure. Regardless, the first sample was very promising. Great recipe! :mug:

good to hear, Bert would be proud. The commercial version of this beer was my first "wow" this is beer and it tastes good "beer" I was a porter fan from then on out but still haven't found a better one ;)

i brewed this but had to use vienna instead of 2row. i added a 12ounces of honey to tone down the veinna alittle. i also had to use northernbrewer hops instead. I used the right yeast though

It's a little over carbed and needs to be warmed before drinking. I used 4.5oz of priming sugar for 5 gallons. I am going to dial it back some. Fridge temps are just too cold for this beer for sure.

Just tried the first bottle. It's only been bottled for 3 weeks, and while it's quite good, it's definitely still a little young. After a few more weeks it should be fantastic though. I can smell slight vanilla in it, but can't taste it at all - might bump up the amount next time.

The only thing I'd really like different with this beer is to give it a little more mouthfeel and body. It's got the flavor for sure, but just seems a little "thin" for mouthfeel. Not sure if that's the appropriate way to describe it or not, but that's what it seems like to me. A little more body would make it even better I think. That's kind of surprising for me to say, since I don't usually like heavy dark beers. This beer is great though, and I think might be making me turn a corner!

Oh, and FYI - try a piece of dark chocolate with the beer. A great combination!

Yes oh yes, another 5 gallons went into the kegerator on Tuesday night. It will be ready for a Friday night BBQ were having. Our guest are really looking forward to it.

Back