Reclaiming a plastic fermenter after infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Pediococcus got me. I just dumped 11 gallons of beer. 5 out of a glass carboy which I know will be ok and 6 out of a 9 gallon tuff tank.

http://www.eckraus.com/TT090.html

So far I soaked the tuff tank overnight in a very strong mix of oxyclean and bleach. My hot tap water runs about 140, so this soak started out good and hot too. I then drained it and sprayed sanitizing solution all over the inside.

Here is my question. Is it possible to reclaim this fermenter and use it again or is it toast? Last time I had an infection I tossed my "ale pale". This fermenter is a little more expensive.

As long as the insides aren't deeply scratched, I think it can be saved. I'd fill it up with another strong batch of sanitizer and set it aside until your next brew day...

Cheers!

Bleach water will do the trick. The Clorox website recomends 3/4 of a cup of bleach per 1galon of water for desinfecting/cleaning (kid toys, bathrooms, kitchens), so that's how I would use it.

Bleach water will do the trick. The Clorox website recomends 3/4 of a cup of bleach per 1galon of water for desinfecting/cleaning (kid toys, bathrooms, kitchens), so that's how I would use it.

Well I would say it is disenfected then. I used 1 gallon of bleach and filled the rest of the fermenter with hot water and also some oxyclean powder. so 8 gallons water to 1 gallon bleach. My wife will be suprised when she goes to do laundry and has no bleach, but oh well.

Since the infection didn't start in the fermenter (from reading your other thread) then I think you are good to go. 1 gallon of bleach was way overkill btw, your wife will be correct in whatever punishment she gives you. ;)

I would test the efficacy of your nuclear assault by making up a 1/2 gallon of wort adding it to the fermenter and giving it a good shake. Leave it for a couple days in 75F ambient and see if it grows pedio. Plastic scares the crap out of me.

I had a infected batch in a better bottle. I cleaned it with a strong bleach water mix then coated the inside with full strength Iodiphor and rinsed that out with my normal mix of starsan. The next batch of beer in there was fine.

Back