So my power's out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geer537

Reaction score
I am not worried about my beer in the closet but I do have a few questions:

Backstory: My house gets a little cold without the heater on; probably down to the 50's or so. I have 2 beers in the closet with a home made insulated drop cloth (I took some extra insulation we had lying around, wrapped it in black trask bags, and attached hangers which suspend from the bar in the closet with a small space heater inside set at 65 degrees- cheapskate's fermentation chamber...). One is an oatmeal stout and the other is a brown. The oatmeal stout has been sitting for 3 weeks this Saturday and the Brown 2 weeks this Saturday. I was plainning on leaving them for a few more weeks before kegging to allow the yeasties time to clean up there mess. That and I am working on a space for them in the fridge.

Do I need to resuspend the yeast when my power comes back on and I get the closet back up to 65 degrees? If I do, what is the best method since I have blow off tubes attached? If not, I'll just go back to having a few beers. This happened on Christmas too and the power was out for 13 hours.
Cheers!

Steve

If your beer has been in the primaries for three and two weeks respectively and around 65*f ambient, I suspect they are fine and the active part of the fermentation is over. The most sensitive time for temps for ale yeast is during the period of fermentation when the gravity is dropping fast in the beginning of the fermentation, and they are more susceptible to off flavors from high temps than low temps.

At this point I would not worry about rousing your yeast if your FG is about where you want it, re-suspending the yeast at this point will only undo any clearing that has been going on over the last week or 2.

If I were you I would stick with your original plan and forget this ever happened.
Say it with me, RDWHAHB :mug:

Hope the power is back up soon.

Agreed with D0ug.

If the fermentation is complete then cool temperatures are not a problem. If anything, it will help clarify your beer! You want to look out for the beer getting too warm, not cold. Those brews will be fine.

Sweet! I figured I should just let it go and new that yeast need to sit to clear up but I wasn't sure if they keep working or they keep settling. Thanks for clearing that one up! Powers out and we're headed to SWMBO's parents for dinner.

Back