Just got my water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterGreen

Reaction score
pH - 8.2
Sodium, Na - 37
Potassium, K - <1
Calcium, Ca - 94
Magnesium, Mg - 38
Total Hardness, CaCO3 - 393
Sulfate, SO4-S - 9
Chloride, Cl - 181
Carbonate, CO3 - 9
Bicarbonate, HCO3 - 169
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 154
Fluoride, F - 0.10
Total Iron, Fe - <0.01

So according to Palmer's ranges, my magnesium is high, and my sulfate is low. I would like to brew a stout using my tap water and was wondering how I would adjust the levels.

For stout you should be OK. Other styles is another story. Your sulfate is actually 3 times what you have shown here or 27 which isn't bad but will not give the harsh, dry hops quality many want in UK derived beers. So try brewing with the water you have and then the next time you brew a stout try adding some gypsum to see if you like the result better. If you do, add more and keep going until there is no improvement.

Great! As long as nothing offensive is jumping out, I don't feel bad trying it "as-is" to see how it turns out and tweaking it if needed. Thanks!

Just to update this topic, my oatmeat stout turned out amazing. By far my best beer to date. Now I need to figure out what to adjust for a Bavarian hefeweizen.

Perhaps a noob question, did you pre-boil the water first or straight from tap to kettle?

Thanks!

For the hef, I'd probably use 50:50 tap:RO and a few ounces of acid malt to help keep the pH down.

Back