Houston we have a problem....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmee

Reaction score
Well I made my own recipie for a imp IPA and 48hrs after pitching there is a large yeast cake but no krausen. I noticed that the water/one step in my 3-piece air lock is low, is it possible that it leaked into the primary and that I have sanitized my yeast? or are they just slow? it is WL001 cal ale yeast at 70 degrees but was able to make a starter.

Could it be your krauzen is already come and gone? If you've got a thief, take an SG reading...if not just relax and have a brew :)

there wasn't any krausen at all, my OG=1.075 so should have gotten something. Hehe I brewing the Red in about 35 min so I have some brews chilling now

pitched another vial of WL001 and BOOM!!! We have ignition! It is bubbling like hell now, guess the first yeast was dead...bah.

Well I got another "dead Vial" rom Austin HBS this time for a british ale yeast. Kinda sucks to pay for yeast then have to get it at the LHBS anyway. I am disappointed, this is the forth "dead yeast" from them. Oh Well. :confused:

No! not Oh Well..this is BS. I trade with them weekly. I'm going to let them know they have a problem. Would you give me the specifics so I can help them ..help you?
thx.

most is due to shipping (in FL) and UPS and their HOTASS brown trucks. I can complain till I am blue in the face but oh well, I will just get stuff from somewhere closer, no biggie. It would be better if they had the option (with the free shipping) to send the yeast via over night and the rest over4 ground, but they don't. so your yeast gets here HOT.

Seems like yeast is the last thing you'd want to mail order. Is it that much cheaper, or is it just a long drive to the LHBS?

Hi,

I got two dead yeast packages, and had to pour 10 gallons of wort out,
and it broke my heart. From now on,
1. I buy my summer yeast in april, especially if it is to be shipped.
2. I carry an ice chest if the weather is hot.
3. Or just stuff the yeast down in a twelve pack on the way home.

If buying yeast in the summer heat, remember...
If you think you are hot,
think how hot it would be in that little tin foil package!
All the way home sitting on your car seat.

But again... don't worry.

MY LHBS is about 20 min away in tampa( I live north of tampa), it is nice, I am still starting out but want to use a few kits first, AHBS was atractive for the free shipping, but I got dead yeast for the first order (HURRICANE issues, I can understand) but they forgot my nylon bag, my air lock and universal bung as well, must have been a new guy in shipping, but they made it right so no biggie

Back