keg top issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Z

Reaction score
I have one cornelius keg that I cannot get to seal. The problem is with the shape of the opening. It seems that is different than all of the tops I have (4) and none of them fit "just right" so it will not seal. Is it worth trying to find another lid that may fit just right or is this something that happens and then time to retire the keg?

thanks

cz

Have you tried to add some pressure to it yet? My don't seal until I hit at least 5 PSI then tight as a drum.

Yes that is with trying to pressurize it also. Well I' did not try to pressurize all of the differnet tops but I tried two of them. I can try the other two also.

cz

It is possible the keg you have is one of the old firestone ones with a "Racetrack" lid. Are the sides of the hole parallel at any point? If so it is an old keg that has a lot of peculiarities to it. I have one but luckily have the original lid. I had to order new plastic inserts for it though.

It's definately not an old firestone keg with straight sides.

the opening is just a little out of shape compared to all of the tops I have and it will not seal even with pressure.

Any ideas on how to bend or shape the top a little? Just grab it wht a plires or cressent wrench?

cz

It's definately not an old firestone keg with straight sides.

the opening is just a little out of shape compared to all of the tops I have and it will not seal even with pressure.

Any ideas on how to bend or shape the top a little? Just grab it wht a plires or cressent wrench?

cz

That's what I've been trying to do to one of mine, I have not gotten it to seal yet though :/

hit Williams Brewing, they sell a 'fat, soft' o-ring specifically made to help older cornies seal better. i've replaced several of mine with these and they definitely help the quirky ones seal consistently versus the standard, harder o-rings that my LHBS sells.

I've got a Firestone keg that, while not a racetrack lid, does have a significantly bigger gap between the edge of the hole and the side of the lid compared to my Cornelius kegs. On all my cornies, there seems to be very little wiggle room with the lid in place, but on this particular keg, the lid can actually slide a good 1/4 inch forwards or backwards exposing quite a bit of the gasket. I bought it used and haven't had the time to rebuild it yet, so I've got no idea if this thing will even seal at this point.

Back