Another "lighted switch" wiring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datamike

Reaction score
As I've already mentioned in other threads, I am building a single-tier, semi-auto, recirculating brew system.

The automation is being handled by the ECC 460, which has also been mentioned in several threads on here.

I also want to be able to manually control the two pumps and two solenoid valves with physical switches.

My current option is to use lighted switches which in theory, are rated for 125v, 16amps. I say "in theory" because I purchased them from ...

"Radio Shack - You've got questions, we've got blank stares".

There's no pinout or wiring schematic on the package. When I asked the counter drone if he knew anything about it, his response was "um, we're not technicians, we really don't know much about that stuff". Hmm, so I say "What about the "you've got questions, we've got answers" motto?" "Well, not THOSE kind of answers. You might try checking google" which is apparently Radio Shack's new product documentation system. :D

Anyway, heres a pic. It has three pins marked 1, 2, 3. Next to the third pin it appears to say "+ -". Anyone have any idea how to wire this?

Thanks!
Michael

BrewDevil%20Build%20113.jpg

BrewDevil%20Build%20114.jpg

Do you have a multi meter? If so, turn the switch to on and check for continuity between 2 poles. once you find it, use those 2 for the switch and the other one is ground.

If you don't have a multimeter, you can use something that's low voltage and try to switch it. (don't use high voltage, bad things could happen)

If its a transparent rocker, it is probably a neon spdt dwitch. I would assume 2 is the common and 1 and 3 are the switched. I think the light will come on when switched toward the "+/-" side.

If you dont already have a multimeter.. buy one. You shouldnt be doing any sort of wiring without one.. and they are only like 20 bucks.

Just guessing but I have some switches that sound like the ones you described. The light does not come on when the switch is on showing a comlete circuit. The light is meant to be on all the time to find the switch in the dark. To light the light hook up a neut. to the third post. I bought some seperate lights and mounted them next to my switches to show when the switch is on. Just wire them in series, hope this helps.

+ 1 to Bad Coffee and the Mouser prost. I spent some time there after the intro from Bad Coffee and, as a wiring newb, and I've got a number of things on the way. First on the list - a multimeter.

Just guessing but I have some switches that sound like the ones you described. The light does not come on when the switch is on showing a comlete circuit. The light is meant to be on all the time to find the switch in the dark.
This is a cool description of a not so conventional wiring.
I can see myself going to Radio Shack asking for a switch with "Find me in the dark feature"

You can wire any lighted switch to act like yours.
Nothing wrong putting a few extra lights, I do it all the time.

Just my 10 cents (2 cents adjusted for inflation)

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

With 3 pins, having the light on all the time or only when switch is on is as easy as changing which side of the switch the hot wire is on.

If you have ground and hot on the same side as the little light, it will be on all the time. If you switch the hot wire with the load, the light will only get power when the circuit is completed.

Am I missing something?

Linc

To illuminate the light when switch is on
Pin 2 = line
Pin 1 = load
Pin 3 = Neutral
To illuminate the light all the time
Pin 2 = load
Pin 1 = line
Pin 3 = Neutral

To illuminate the light when switch is on
Pin 2 = line
Pin 1 = load
Pin 3 = Neutral
To illuminate the light all the time
Pin 2 = load
Pin 1 = line
Pin 3 = Neutral

Thanks for the reply! I'll be giving it a try very soon and post the results.

Michael

Back