Does ascorbic acid survive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
I was hoping there may be some health benefits to all my apfelwein consumption. (Vitamin C)

Google says "Exposure to oxygen, metals, light, and heat destroys ascorbic acid, so it must be stored in a dark, cold, and non-metallic container."

It might make it, or does fermentation roast it?

I'm not an organic chemist, but those warnings might be for the crystalline form of ascorbic acid, and not for when it's dissolved in something tasty like apfelwein.

I don't imagine that fermentation would destroy it-- just my instinct, though.

-Steve

Since it is used as a preservative, one would expect it to last with reasonable precautions.

However, the amount is trivial from a dietetic standpoint.

It shouldn't be a trivial amount of Vitamin C. Most apple juices that use it are 100% of your daily allowance. If it makes it through fermentation, which I have no idea about, it should be a good Vitamin C supplement.

My guess is that a good potion of the ascorbic will be taken up by the yeast and fall out with the lees. Other than that it the rest of the vitamin C should be ok through fermentation light damage not withstanding.

Latest posts

Back