Don't Fear the Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time Star San user. Had a busy day. Bottled and kegged three batches. Love the Star San. The last thing to do is move a batch from primary to secondary that I just cleaned with the Star San. The bubbles won't leave the carboy. Just rack on top of them?

fearthefoam.jpg

You have way too much in there. You only need about a quart and a rubber stopper to coat the inside well. Dump it back in the bucket and 60 seconds later, you can rack on it.

That is beer. The beer is pushing all the foam out.

You have way too much in there. You only need about a quart and a rubber stopper to coat the inside well. Dump it back in the bucket and 60 seconds later, you can rack on it.

So, to sanitize my 6.5 gal. carboy I only need a quart of water? How much starsan do you add?

Thx!

So, to sanitize my 6.5 gal. carboy I only need a quart of water? How much starsan do you add?

Thx!

I mix mine in 1 gallon increments: 6ml (0.2oz) StarSan to 1 gallon water and I measure that with a small syringe (I think you can get them at the pharmacy). I like mixing 1 gallon at a time because I can just dump it back in a gallon jug when done for storage. Hope this helps.

I mix mine in 1 gallon increments: 6ml (0.2oz) StarSan to 1 gallon water and I measure that with a small syringe (I think you can get them at the pharmacy).

+1 on the syringe. Using a syringe of the appropriate size makes a huge difference in accurate measurement.

Back