Another newb foam thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathedral

Reaction score
Ok. So I just tapped my first corny keg, and all I get is foam... and co2. The foam doesn't come out consistent, either, it sputters and stops and sputters. This isn't from the tap, but from the QD. Literally, right out of the keg, it sputters and foams. I don't know what the deal is.

Here's my setup:

5g corny ball lock
Had it set at 12 psi for a week
45F in the keezer.
10' 3/16 Bevflex, kept in the keezer, with a squeeze tap.
line, tap and qd are all brand new
Yes, the keg is assembled correctly: gray in, black out, diptube on the right side. Posts are in the right place. Pressure checked and foamy-water checked for leaks- no leaks.

The beer doesn't come out of the keg consistently, it sputters and there are definitely air bubbles coming straight out of the keg.

I've searched but most of the threads I see say "line too short" or "line too warm." My line is the same temp, and 10' is what everyone suggests. I would really like some help here. Ask me questions if you need some more information.

It sounds like the problem is in the post or disconnect on the "out" side.

Did you take apart the post and/or the disconnect? It could be that the poppit is clogged a bit with hops particles. I had a disconnect that I took apart to clean, and lost a gasket and didn't know it- until I had a problem like yours. :drunk:

It sounds like the problem is in the post or disconnect on the "out" side.

Did you take apart the post and/or the disconnect? It could be that the poppit is clogged a bit with hops particles. I had a disconnect that I took apart to clean, and lost a gasket and didn't know it- until I had a problem like yours. :drunk:

I took apart the post. I bought a used keg kit from a guy here on the forums. Before I kegged, I noticed that I have two different styles of QDs, and two different styles of poppits. I assembled them the way the internet told me (from Morebeer, Northern Brewer, etc). Thats how it was when it first started foaming. I then took it apart and re-assembled it the way I bought it (the poppit is a different style) and it still foams the same. I'm wondering if the o-ring has a hole, or the dip-tube, because the way it is foaming, I don't think think it could be doing that if everything was solid. It comes out as a spurt of beer, a spurt of gas, a spurt of beer, etc. which implies a mechanical defect--somehow gas is getting into the line after the liquid enters the dip tube. Sound right?

I took apart the post. I bought a used keg kit from a guy here on the forums. Before I kegged, I noticed that I have two different styles of QDs, and two different styles of poppits. I assembled them the way the internet told me (from Morebeer, Northern Brewer, etc). Thats how it was when it first started foaming. I then took it apart and re-assembled it the way I bought it (the poppit is a different style) and it still foams the same. I'm wondering if the o-ring has a hole, or the dip-tube, because the way it is foaming, I don't think think it could be doing that if everything was solid. It comes out as a spurt of beer, a spurt of gas, a spurt of beer, etc. which implies a mechanical defect--somehow gas is getting into the line after the liquid enters the dip tube. Sound right?

Or, a little piece of hops debris is clogging the poppit.

You could try depressurizing the keg, and taking the post off and checking. Hold the long diptube up to a light source and eyeball it. You should be able to see if it's partially occluded or has a pinhole. Take off and lube the o-rings. There is one under the diptube, one on the poppit, and one around the outside of the post.

Do you have another black QD to swap it out? That would probably be my first line of troubleshooting.

Or, a little piece of hops debris is clogging the poppit.

You could try depressurizing the keg, and taking the post off and checking. Hold the long diptube up to a light source and eyeball it. You should be able to see if it's partially occluded or has a pinhole. Take off and lube the o-rings. There is one under the diptube, one on the poppit, and one around the outside of the post.

Do you have another black QD to swap it out? That would probably be my first line of troubleshooting.

No hop debris. It was a porter, so there wasn't much hop to begin with, but like I said, I changed the poppit out with a brand new one and cleaned the post and it was still the same. I haven't checked the dip tube yet, or the o-rings. I just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction before I started ripping it all apart. Thanks, Yoop.

Yeah, what Zach said! There is something that isn't sealing right, causing that bubbling/c02 coming out in spurts. If it's not the poppit or QD, it's got to be a torn o-ring.

If you have any mineral oil, lube it well. Those little orings can tear easily.

Well, I'll be damned. Turns out I didn't have an o-ring on the dip tube. I took apart my other kegs to see they had it and, yep. Took apart the keg with beer, and no o-ring! Swapped an o-ring to it, and now it pours silky smooth!

Thanks, HBT! Damn, I love this place. Off to make a paid subscription instead of mooching...

Back