Ruining The Stove Top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lubbock Brew

Reaction score
Hey guys, have any of you ever ruined your stove trying to boil wort. I'm tryin to start my first brew and it seems that the actual stove top is getting too hot. Has that happened to any of y'all?

Doing my very first batch. American IPA from morebeer.com. Figure something easy.

Quick question, when using sanitizer that comes with it. Do i need to rinse out the carboy after sanitizing? If so, what do i rinse with? Pre-boiled water? Tap water?

Can't say that I've ruined a stovetop, however just let your attantion wander and have a good boil over and you will certainly give yourself a lot of work for the next week:)

I've got a jet totally blocked because of a DME primer boil. Down to three burners b/c I am too lazy to mess with it...perhaps I should call the landlord... :D

Lubbock Brew said:
Doing my very first batch. American IPA from morebeer.com. Figure something easy.

Quick question, when using sanitizer that comes with it. Do i need to rinse out the carboy after sanitizing? If so, what do i rinse with? Pre-boiled water? Tap water?
If your sanitizer is a "no-rinse" one (Iodophor or Star-San), then no, don't rinse it.

Lubbock Brew said:
Hey guys, have any of you ever ruined your stove trying to boil wort. I'm tryin to start my first brew and it seems that the actual stove top is getting too hot. Has that happened to any of y'all?

Worse yet .... today I bottled 24 22oz bottles of a very nice Java Stout (very nice hint of coffee!!!). After I disolved my sugar for priming I accidentally left the burner on low. In goes the sugar mix to the bottling pail. Beer is syphoned from the glass carboy. Carboy empty so I set it aside. Yep ..... right on the still buring burner.

Bottling complete and I look at the carboy and wonder why the yeast is bubbling up so actively. No sooner did I reach out to grab the carboy than it shattered!!!!

After 60 minutes I *think* the kitchen is back in order.

Dangit!!!!

(but I was very impressed in the taste of my pre-bottled sample ... first stout batch .. so very happy).

Speedie said:
Worse yet .... today I bottled 24 22oz bottles of a very nice Java Stout (very nice hint of coffee!!!). After I disolved my sugar for priming I accidentally left the burner on low. In goes the sugar mix to the bottling pail. Beer is syphoned from the glass carboy. Carboy empty so I set it aside. Yep ..... right on the still buring burner.

Bottling complete and I look at the carboy and wonder why the yeast is bubbling up so actively. No sooner did I reach out to grab the carboy than it shattered!!!!

Dangit!!!!

(but I was very impressed in the taste of my pre-bottled sample ... first stout batch .. so very happy).

makes for a good drinking story though :D

Dangit!!!![QUOTE}Worse yet .... today I bottled 24 22oz bottles of a very nice Java Stout (very nice hint of coffee!!!). After I disolved my sugar for priming I accidentally left the burner on low. In goes the sugar mix to the bottling pail. Beer is syphoned from the glass carboy. Carboy empty so I set it aside. Yep ..... right on the still buring burner.

Dangit!!!!

someone move that to the boneheaded moves thread LOL

shouldnt laugh too hard, I'm probably do for something like that myself
*knock on wood*

Back