Racking early instead of adding priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamberto

Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone has tried racking the beer from the primary fermentation early so no additional priming sugar needs to be added. Would there be any inherent problems in doing so?

I was just curious if anyone has tried racking the beer from the primary fermentation early so no additional priming sugar needs to be added. Would there be any inherent problems in doing so?

Yes. How do you know how much residual sugar is left so that you can gauge the CO2 that will be produced?

MC

Some historical ales are kegged near the end of primary fermentation. I'd do it for that reason only.

Your post sounds like you're just trying to save on sugar. Is there a different reason you want to do this?

I read in Graham Wheeler's book 'Brew your own British Real Ale' that if you keg your beer at the end of primary, the residual sugars will slowly ferment over about a month and you will get nicely conditioned beer without having to put in any priming sugar. I've not done tried it myself, but it might be worth doing if you don't want to bother priming :)

How about using a hydrometer or refractometer to determine how much sugar is left?

I think this is only practical when kegging, you can easily monitor the pressure with a gauge on the gas connector....I don't think it's a good idea to do this bottles, it's basically how guys like my dad did it 50 years ago.

If you are thinking rheinheitsgebot, I think there are resources that will tell you how to calculate priming with dry malt extract.

If it was something I HAD to do (gun to head), I'd do the 20 oz coke bottle trick and pasteurize in the dishwasher to ensure against bombs. Same thing some cider guys do.
There would, however, be a flavor impact but it wouldn't be bad, just different.

Saving sugar is a must because remember: In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women.

Back