Adding grains post boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disasterjustavoided

Reaction score
Just wondering if when making an all grain batch there is any reason why grains can't be added post boil.

What I'm thinking is to steep a few speciality grains in seperate pans so I have a few different "worts". Then I split a batch just after pitching the yeast adding a different grain to each fermentor. That way in one go I can see how different grains taste in very similar beers.

Would there be any reason this might not work?

One reason wort is brought to a boil is to kill off any bacteria. Adding grain post boil will most likely cause infection problems.

Also grain needs to be mashed in order to really get sugars out if it. At room temp adding grain won't give you the right idea of the flavour anyway.

Don't do it :)

And......self fulfilling username self fulfilled.

Yes, there is a very good reason not to add grains post boil.

If you want to check out what different grains taste like, why not add them to the grain bill when making your all grain batch?

You can start with a simple pale ale recipe, then add or swap out parts of the grist for a few different batches. Keep it simple to make the changes more obvious.

And......self fulfilling username self fulfilled.

Yes, there is a very good reason not to add grains post boil.

Yes, name dictates how I brew!

. . . Zilch, yep was just trying to short cut really and thought that might be the obvious reply.

I was intending to mash the grains in a pan individually at 65c or so not at room temp, then add them. Perhaps a quick boil of 10 mins might do the job?

Or am I still clutching at a short cutting straw?

Yes, name dictates how I brew!

. . . Zilch, yep was just trying to short cut really and thought that might be the obvious reply.

I was intending to mash the grains in a pan individually at 65c or so not at room temp, then add them. Perhaps a quick boil of 10 mins might do the job?

Or am I still clutching at a short cutting straw?

Only time saver I have is to boil hops while the grains are mashing.

You have to boil hops for at least 1/2 hour, so you are going to boil that long no matter what. Longer boils get rid of DMS and other potential off flavor contributors.

The mash is one step you can't skip.

The mash is one step you can't skip.
Well not necessarily. If he wanted to test crystal malts, he could steep these, bring them to a boil for x minutes, let it cool and it to the fermenters. He could also test highly kilned malts like chocolate, roast barley, black patent as you really aren't trying to get fermentable sugars from these...just need to boil it all to make sure you kill of any bacteria...not sure how long ya need to do this.

Well not necessarily. If he wanted to test crystal malts, he could steep these, bring them to a boil for x minutes, let it cool and it to the fermenters. He could also test highly kilned malts like chocolate, roast barley, black patent as you really aren't trying to get fermentable sugars from these...just need to boil it all to make sure you kill of any bacteria...not sure how long ya need to do this.

Ahh... good, yes breewasbtd thats exactly what I was thinking, cheers. I'm guessing 15 mins would work as that is how long you have boil baby bottles for. Right, off to buy grain!

Latest posts

Back