Sink Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years I've seen "tuns" (this is the best I can do for a joke) of people make mash tuns out of insulated coolers. While I have no doubt that it works well, I've thrown around the idea of using a stainless steel sink to make one (and of course adding insulation around it, and a lid). For some reason I'm a bit creeped out by having my hot water sitting in a plastic container...and strange chemicals seeping out. However, since I brew in a SS kettle, I don't feel creeped out about using a stainless steel sink.

Anybody done this and/or have any words of wisdom on trying it?

Thanks!

Nic

If you want to use stainless steel, I would use something that has more volume and is easier to get a lid for. A sanke keg makes a nice mash tun and a 12" pot lid will cover it nicely.

I can't find the link, but there was an electric system that someone was building/selling that was based on stainless sinks.

It may be a company in NY.

I;ll keep looking for the link...

I just remembered.... I have four 15 GAL (or 15.5, whatever it is) kegs laying in the garage. I guess I could just use one of those... cut open the top and add some insulation. And cleaning it out would probably be good. One for HLT, one for mash/lauter, one for brew, and one for serving!

Nic0 said:
I just remembered.... I have four 15 GAL (or 15.5, whatever it is) kegs laying in the garage. I guess I could just use one of those... cut open the top and add some insulation. And cleaning it out would probably be good. One for HLT, one for mash/lauter, one for brew, and one for serving!

Oh yeah, me too. Right next to my pile of gold and cocaine at my summer house.

If preheated well enough, stainless steel hold mash temperatures surprisingly well, even without insulation.

There's another four in the back of your avatar if you forgot to look there too.

I can't find the link, but there was an electric system that someone was building/selling that was based on stainless sinks.

I can't find it either. This is driving me nuts. I used to pull the site up every time I searched for something homebrew related. Now it's disappeared.

Latest posts

Back