Primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfman

Reaction score
Sorry if this has come up already... but I want a definitive answer.. ok soo I picked about 300 lbs of tempranillo grapes. I have them in a 55 plus gallon barrel. Crushed the next day, then added 3 packets of red star day after that..OG is 25 brix. On the 9th day I have 8 brix and today is 11th day.. I added some sulfites but forgot to add yeast nutrient.. does the 8 brix seem on point?? I read to wait until its 1-2 brix to press into carboys?? Any advice would help. Thanks in advance

ForumRunner_20121010_234420.jpg

ForumRunner_20121010_234449.jpg

25 to 8 brix is roughly 1.100 to 1.030 SG. Pretty close to secondary time. I try to get into secondary at 1.01 to 1.02 (3 to 5 brix).

It seem fine to me, but I don't use grapes, only juices.

Ohh ok.. ya it might be a lil different from whole fruit because I'm trying to get the color and tannins...

how many gallons of juice did you end up with????? 3 packets may not have been enough yeast for 300lbs of grapes...

Honda88 said:
how many gallons of juice did you end up with????? 3 packets may not have been enough yeast for 300lbs of grapes...

I haven't squeezed the juice out yet.. but 300 lbs was a guestimate, the barrel was pretty heavy.. can I add the yeast nutrient late?? Maybe dilute it in a tiny bit of sanitized water? I was told 100 lbs = 5 gallons of juice. Soo I went on that

Back