thought on chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterX

Reaction score
thinking about using a distiller style worm as chiller so it would drain through copper coil through a bucket of ice water and right into the frementer do you think this would be practical as i think seems it would use less water than immersion style and get it done faster im not sure though and figured id get thoughts on this since im bored

Problems....

The biggest problem is cleaning. all the coils need to ber perfectly spaced or youll have dips and rises where water stays. This definately isn't the best case scenario for sanitary purposes. Building a perfect worm is much harder than building an immersion chiller or a counterflow chiller. An IC can be coiled like crap since you don't need to clean the inside.

The water will rise in temp so keeping a consistent output temperature will require some work. When using tap water in a CFC this is not an issue because you are constantly using cooling water of the same temperature.

Itll most definately need to be longer than an immersion chiller so youll end up buying more copper. If you cause a disturbance in the flow (kink teh copper) and youll get more movement of the wort within the tube and thus better transfer of heat, BUT, this will slow the speed that it will move in a garvity fed cooling system.

It will also create a gradient of temperature between the top and teh bottom of the bucket of water which will be of no benefit. In distillation that it is useful. The gradient helps to seperate fractions of vapor rather then them hitting a "cold front". Its not a good technique when the only goal is fast heat exchange.

I think you'd be better off spending just a few more bucks on a CFC and if you want to conserve water you could feed the CFC with a bucket of ice water and a pump... The movement of the cooling water will help you to more easily maintain the output temps.

A typical immersion or plate chiller would be fine too.... A worm in a bucket just isn't really cost effective and is too damn finnicky compared to the ease of operation youll get from other gravity/pump fed systems.

just figured since i have a old one i no longer use it would be worth a thought my fuel permits are about to expire so no more of that but ill just convert it to a ic and use a submersable fountain pump and a bucket of ice water, our water bill is sooo horrible id rather not add more and get my roommates mad at me the ice bath in the sink just sucked trying to do and took too darn long

just figured since i have a old one i no longer use it would be worth a thought my fuel permits are about to expire so no more of that but ill just convert it to a ic and use a submersable fountain pump and a bucket of ice water, our water bill is sooo horrible id rather not add more and get my roommates mad at me the ice bath in the sink just sucked trying to do and took too darn long

Tell you room mates to suck it and read this.

http://www.portlandonline.com/water/index.cfm?c=29415&a=350346

You pay all sorts of fees for water service. The actual water itself is about $3.08 for 748gallons... Go figure... Its about the normal price... Those hippies are raping you and stealing all the oregon rain to grow their weed...

Let me make that a bit more clear.. Your water costs 4/10s of a penny per gallon. Unless you loving saving water and hugging trees than use all you want. I hate being green.. :mug:

haha i love it astro but even tho it costs the water company that little it ends up being like 50cents a gal but either way i hate hippies i hate being green and i hate weed as well just like beer wine and shine oh yea i hate vegans and vegetarians too not eating meat is offensive to me

haha i love it astro but even tho it costs the water company that little it ends up being like 50cents a gal but either way i hate hippies i hate being green and i hate weed as well just like beer wine and shine oh yea i hate vegans and vegetarians too not eating meat is offensive to me

So much hate... maybe you should smoke a bow... oh thats right you said you hate that. I guess my short term memory is shot.

I LOVE YOU!

haha i love it astro but even tho it costs the water company that little it ends up being like 50cents a gal

Did you look at the link? I really doubt your water costs anywhere near that much. Its just the monthly fees for having water service that are costing so much. Call the number on the bill and ask them how much the actual water costs you.

I'm on a well in the country, so I'm in poor case to comment on anyone else's water fees. Have you looked into no-chill? The Aussies, with their water restrictions, seem to thrive on it.....

Back