Pumping from MLT to kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
My mlt uses a stainless braid as the manifold. Any reason I can't pump the wort from the mlt to my kettle? Or anything I need to be weary of while doing this? Sucking grain particulate through?

Thanks!

Are you talking about using the pump as part of the run-off process?

I think the pumping rate for an unmodified pump would exceed the optimum run-off rate from your MLT. You could have problems with bed compaction or other issues.

This might be possible to do if you throttled the pump discharge with a valve to meet a slower run-off rate.

If you are running off into a container by gravity flow, and then tranferring from the container to your boil kettle, then the pump should work fine for the transfer at it full pumping capacity.

Some people claim to have issues with pumping from the MLT and getting stuck sparges, but there are tonnes and tonnes of people that do it without issue. I don't know if there's a flow trick you need to worry about.

I don't know anything about braids. I have a full false bottom and circulate continually throughout mash at full speed (RIMS). When its time to sparge (Fly) I pump it into boil kettle but cut it down to a trickle via a valve. I believe batch spargers do the same thing only they run it wide open untill it is drained. I did put a vacum gauge on the down stream side to make sure the mash isn't sticking, which it rarely does, and if it does stick, I shut off the pump, stir, and let it rip again.

Back