Water test suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chizult

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting my water tested in the near future. I have a whole house water softener system and I'll be testing one batch after I run it through that just for general knowledge. My other option for brewing is to bypass that system, however that will also bypass the filter. So my options are testing unfiltered water, buying a brita system and running it through that, and what else? Any other suggestions for making good water without a big up-front investment (not an R/O system)? Thanks.

Our water comes into the house softened so I have no choice. I have a Brita filter but still, depending on the style I'm brewing buy RO water from Walmart or Copps for 0.37 a gallon and dilute 1:1 up to 3:1.

Then add calcium sulphate or calcium chloride or both for IPAs along with sour malt for PH. Read the Primer on this forum. Pretty good and makes sense.

Back