resh Northern Brewer Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiddleTilDeath

Reaction score
*Fresh!

I just wanted to vouch for the quality and freshness of the NorthernBrewer.com LMEs! I just had two brews tie for 1st place in a homebrew competition - a DIPA with northern brewer pilsner LME (+Breiss pils DME) and their Summit hop pellets, and a Belgian Pale Ale with their organic malt LME and DME and the same Summit hops. These beers were the first recipes I've ever created myself and did not even include any steeping grains. The 2nd and 3rd place winning brews were all grain recipes. I just want to say that if you have a vision for a delicious beer and you use fresh delicious ingredients in copious quantities the fact that you used extract instead of mashing is irrelevent! Thanks NorthernBrewer!

I am not going to turn this into a thread about different vendors, but I also at times extract brew, and purchase my extract from a different vendor that sells bulk LME (Briess). People are unfairly biased against all extracts based on either minimal experience with one brand, or threads on the internet.

I love the brews I have made with most LME, I can think of one I didn't, but that was from a can.

nanofreak, would you mind sharing with us who you use to buy LME in bulk? This might be a stupid question, but how do you measure it out when a recipe calls for 3.3lbs or 5lbs, etc of LME?

Thanks!

nanofreak, would you mind sharing with us who you use to buy LME in bulk? This might be a stupid question, but how do you measure it out when a recipe calls for 3.3lbs or 5lbs, etc of LME?

Thanks!

Some places that sell in bulk, sell by the ounce. You can buy just the exact amount. Brewmasters Warehouse does this.

I buy ingredients from NB all the time, although I've only used their LME once when I tried their Irish Red recipe kit. That beer turned out great.

However unless I brew something that needs Munich malt extract (and now that I do PMs I will mash Munich malt grains), I stick with DME only. I find it easier to work with, and it gives you more control especially if you do late additions like I normally do.

Back