Saison - dry hop or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you dry hop your saisons

• Yes

• No

• Sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.

JimmyT555

Reaction score
Just wanted to see how many ppl dry hop their saisons. I dry hopped the one saison I brewed before and was thinking about not dry hopping this one.

I'm not seeing your full recipe, so I don't know what is going in your saison. Sometimes I dry-hop my saisons and sometimes I don't. In the past, I've taken two approaches to a saisons. I'll use more wheat and mash a little higher for a sweeter beer. For those, I usually keep the IBU's on the lower end and use only bittering hops. I don't add flavor/aroma additions, so no dry-hopping. My other approach is to mash lower for a dry finish and I add flavor/aroma hops. I dry hopped those saisons. I can't remember exactly without digging up those past recipes, but I want to say I have used Falconer's Flight, Citra, Amarillo, Liberty, and Perle, alone and in different combinations. All this being said, I don't brew to styles. I'm just telling you what I have done with my saisons in the past. I'm on my last few bottles of a saison I made with Liberty and Perle. It was dry-hopped and the combination of spice and floral aromas coming from the yeast and hops is nice.

My bad. My recipe was all grain, 12 lbs belgian pils, 1 lb crystal 20, 1 lb vienna, 1 lb corn sugar three days into ferm.

Added 1 oz Styrian Goldings at 60 and one oz East Kent Goldings at 15 min.

Considering adding 1-2 oz east kent goldings for dry hop after primary has gone for 14 days. No sure if I will dry hop in the keg, in primary, ormb not at all depending in the feed back I get. Going for a dry saison, similar to Saison Dupont.

I like to post-boil hop (in some form or another) all of my beers. Saisons i will def dry hop if they dont have added fruit. It doesn't have to be a strong dry hopping but it does improve aroma.

At this point I am leaning towards not dry hopping going with the reasoning that traditionally most of the flavor in a Saison is supposed to come from the yeast. Considering that I added hops at 15 min in the boil I think there will still be enough hop aroma. Also, if I dry hop I will have to wait longer for the hop flavor to mellow.

Back