1st all-grain brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me some good easy recipes and what to buy such as grain and hops for my first all grain brew? I like all types of beer.

What is your favorite beer to drink? The process you will follow for All Grain brewing will remain relatively the same for a number of different types of beer. My advice would be to start with an Ale, as the fermentation temps are far more forgiving.

Your question is far too broad. Browse the Recipes Database, pick a style you want to brew, then pick a recipe and brew it. I sort each recipe subforum by rating to find the highest-rated recipes and start from there. For your first brew, don't try changing anything in the recipe - just brew it exactly as prescribed and see how it turns out.

kombat said:
Your question is far too broad. Browse the Recipes Database, pick a style you want to brew, then pick a recipe and brew it. I sort each recipe subforum by rating to find the highest-rated recipes and start from there. For your first brew, don't try changing anything in the recipe - just brew it exactly as prescribed and see how it turns out.
+1 you might try a smash.

I am thinking an ale to brew as was said temps are more forgiving. I would need to know how/what grains and hops to buy for a 5g batch? I have done partial mash before but would live to try complete all grain.

As I already said, pick any recipe from the recipe database I linked to in my previous post. It will tell you exactly how much grains/hops to use for a 5 gallon batch.

The recipe database is an excellent start, but I agree it can be a bit overwhelming entering the all grain world. What is easy depends on your equipment. If you have a mash tun than any single infusion batch sparge should be easy. If you do not have a tun, you may want to look at a brew in a bag.

I would stay away from anything imperial or high grav, not that they are necessarily more difficult but the additional grain adds to the investment in the beer. You wouldn't want to learn on an expensive beer. Kind of like learning to drive a manual transmission on Porsche.

I do have a mash tun, however it only has a kettle screen not a false bottom, I know a false bottom is better but for now this is what I have. What exactly do you mean by single infusion?

Kettle screens are fine, that's what I use. I just put .5 lb of rice hulls in first, call it cheap insurance.

Read some of the stickies here;
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/

There is also a real good video here;

His setup in this video I think may be similar to yours, and the recipe he is using is a real easy all grain brew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back