Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
4 cups left over taco meat (beef)........
large package cranberry beans soaked overnight
12 whole tomatoes
2 beef bullion cubes
2 whole white onions diced
1 jalapeno diced
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves (ground)

Toss the whole mess, along with any leftover steak you might have into a crock pot.

Cover with water close to the top of the crock pot. cook on LOW

Stew it until the beans are cooked, 12 hours or so.

Cold crash it in your keezer ;) LEAVE IT IN THE CROCK POT.

let it sit a week cold but not frozen.

Heat the crock pot back up and add water again close top the top.

Heat on low overnight. A DARK crust should form over the top and some chili should be sticking to the sides. Scrape it all in and add water if needed.

It will end up DARK and THICK but fantastically savory.

I cannot pick out an individual seasoning at this point.....amazing!

I know the week seems like overkill.

Honestly I re cooked mine because I was sure it wouldstart growing mold any day.

I have before.

Basically I had a BUNCH of leftover taco meat and all of these tomatos people had given me.

I had the beans soaking and said what the hell.

NOT how I would have gone about it from scratch, but for half ass chili, it is sincerely amazing.

CD have you tried beer or stock instead of the water?

A lot of recipes will use chicken stock with beef in chili because its more flavorful than plain old water, but it adds a different dimension and more depth of flavor than just using beef stock. But then the thing to remember is the difference between stock and broth. Stock is basically just meat and bones and stuff simmered in water for a while, broth has salt and herbs and spices added.

Yeah, my 8 day chili recipe used bullion and water.......quasi stock.

If I had had actual steak etc, this **** cooked so long, it would have actually been making stock while it cooks.

This batch didn't need any more flavor than it ended up with, and at some point you start with water anyways....unless you make your stock with stock ;)

A lot of recipes will use chicken stock with beef in chili because its more flavorful than plain old water, but it adds a different dimension and more depth of flavor than just using beef stock. But then the thing to remember is the difference between stock and broth. Stock is basically just meat and bones and stuff simmered in water for a while, broth has salt and herbs and spices added.

I'm not a fan of chicken stock with beef anything. Yes, I make my own beef stock (without salt) for my chili....

I'm not a fan of chicken stock with beef anything. Yes, I make my own beef stock (without salt) for my chili....

Do you buy bones or keep them frozen?

I never seem to have enough leftover beef parts to do a good stock.

ANYTIME I make a turkey, that leftover carcass goes straight into the 5 gallon with celery onions garlic carrots etc. and I get 4 gallons of PRIMO bird stock.

Occasionally if I run out of frozen, I make chicken stock out of 10 or so wings (browned nicely) they are cheap and easy to get. I almost never make beef stock though :(

I use what i get from steaks, burgers, roasts, etc. We eat a lot of meat.

OH, you reminded me it is almost turkey season.

I use what i get from steaks, burgers, roasts, etc. We eat a lot of meat.

OH, you reminded me it is almost turkey season.

:)

I am generally just cooking for 1 or 2 now, so not as much left over scrap...I do know a butcher though......

Save 'em up in the freezer (even from steakhouses). I also save up my Parmesan rinds for soups.

My wife was surprised at how good freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheeses tasted compared to the stuff in the green cans. She was even more surprised that I saved the rinds for soups. :mug:

Going home to ready some ingredients for my deer chilli tonight with my newly acquired ulu knife from the factory in anchorage. Gonna try not to lose a finger. Ever use one sub sailor?

Going home to ready some ingredients for my deer chilli tonight with my newly acquired ulu knife from the factory in anchorage. Gonna try not to lose a finger. Ever use one sub sailor?

Yes, and still do. My brother and I used to make them out of old circular saw blades. I have small scars on a couple of fingers from Ulus.
We have a native friend who lived in McGrath (moved to Kenai awhile back) and that's all she uses for processing moose and caribou. Watching her and my brother the first time back in the late '80s, it was like they were unzipping the parts off the animal. Fast, efficient and amazing. I never got as good as they are but I like to think I didn't look like a cheechako anymore.

Yes, and still do. My brother and I used to make them out of old circular saw blades. I have small scars on a couple of fingers from Ulus.
We have a native friend who lived in McGrath (moved to Kenai awhile back) and that's all she uses for processing moose and caribou. Watching her and my brother the first time back in the late '80s, it was like they were unzipping the parts off the animal. Fast, efficient and amazing. I never got as good as they are but I like to think I didn't look like a cheechako anymore.

Ahh good old fashioned Chinook Jargon. My mom brought it back for me. The beaver skinning champions use them, I plan on testing mine out on a fresh whitetail next week. :ban:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...........

I think we can call a time of death......

BEANS WINS BY AN EFFING MILE

cheezydemon3 said:
ANYTIME I make a turkey, that leftover carcass goes straight into the 5 gallon with celery onions garlic carrots etc. and I get 4 gallons of PRIMO bird stock.

I do the exact same thing with leftover smoked turkey carcasses, with the addition of bay leaves and peppercorns. I cannot even begin to tell you how freaking AWESOME smoked turkey stock is when your wife makes chicken/turkey and dumplings from scratch with it. All I can say is - foodgasm.

I do the exact same thing with leftover smoked turkey carcasses, with the addition of bay leaves and peppercorns. I cannot even begin to tell you how freaking AWESOME smoked turkey stock is when your wife makes chicken/turkey and dumplings from scratch with it. All I can say is - foodgasm.

Agreed! Those little yellow cubes and powders start to look surprisingly like a budweiser can next to the real deal.

I have done it with a BUNCH of leftover crab and shrimp shells also.

SF stock or Turkey stock takes my gumbo to another level!

I like some beans, but not silly with beans.

I also much prefer real diced steak to hamburg in my chili. A good amount of adobo sauce and/or spanish smoked paprika too. And with cornbread!

And with a nice, refreshing light ale like a blonde or siason or american wheat.

Here's a slight variation of TJ Cannon's TICC championship recipe that I have been using recently. Everyone loves it...

2lbs Ground Chuck
1 Can Beef Broth
1 Can Chicken Broth
1 Small Can Tomato Sauce
2 Serrano Peppers

1st Dump
2 tsp MB Onion Granules
¼ tsp MB Cayenne
2 tsp each Wyler’s Beef and Chicken Granules
¼ tsp Salt
1 ½ tsp MB Garlic Granules
1 T MB Cadillac Cowgirl Chili Powder
1 T MB Red Lion Competition Blend
2 tsp Dixon Medium Hot

2nd Dump
1 T MB Cumin
½ tsp MB Garlic Granules
1/8 tsp Gunpowder Foods Hot Stuff (available from Mild Bill’s)
1/8 tsp MB Cayenne
2 T MB Red Lion Competition Blend
1/8 tsp Brown Sugar
1 Package Sazon Goya (available from Mild Bill’s)

Directions:
In a 4qt pot, brown your meat; drain it and set it aside. Remove all grease from the pot and add all of the liquid. Poke holes in the serranos and add them to the pot. Bring the liquid and peppers to a boil; add your first dump of spices and meat. Boil on medium high for 25 minutes or until meat is tender and then turn off. Squeeze and discard peppers. Allow chili to rest for 30 minutes and then bring back to a boil, adding more liquid if needed. Add the second dump of spices and boil over medium heat for 20 minutes. Check for salt, heat and chili powder flavor; adjust if necessary. If you want to add fillers (beans, diced tomato, pasta, etc) cook separately and add to bowl with chili otherwise you'll screw up the blend flavors.

Maybe they don't know any better...

actually....(looking at myself ;))people who generalize about groups of other people should go on the list.

Not all pick up drivers are *****es, not all blonds are ditzy sluts, not all muslime are terrorists, etc.

In here it seems kinda fun, but in the real world generalizers go in my book!

Got a man date Saturday (buddy of mine and I get together if neither of us has a date or otherwise occupied) and we play Axis and Allies or COD and make gourmet something or other.

His turn to pick and he says,...."SPICY CHILI!!"

I say, "Got some!"

He says, "SWEET!".................

(He don't know me very well.......DO HE?????)

I will take maybe 1/2 gallon of what I got, add in a ghost chili to stew all day, sit back and watch the hilarity ensue!!!

He loves my homebrew.......

On tap I have my session "Orange Ale" SWEET!!!! He will get 1 of those.

My other tap, a raisiny good stout at roughly 11% ABV...I simply call ass kicker. He will get a bottomless mug of that to douse his flaming head with.....MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHa!!!!

Got a man date Saturday (buddy of mine and I get together if neither of us has a date or otherwise occupied) and we play Axis and Allies or COD and make gourmet something or other.

His turn to pick and he says,...."SPICY CHILI!!"

I say, "Got some!"

He says, "SWEET!".................

(He don't know me very well.......DO HE?????)

I will take maybe 1/2 gallon of what I got, add in a ghost chili to stew all day, sit back and watch the hilarity ensue!!!

He loves my homebrew.......

On tap I have my session "Orange Ale" SWEET!!!! He will get 1 of those.

My other tap, a raisiny good stout at roughly 11% ABV...I simply call ass kicker. He will get a bottomless mug of that to douse his flaming head with.....MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHa!!!!

Your evil.

But funny

Back