iBrewMaster (iPhone) - Great

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sea1961 said:
I use all three of the apps! iPhone, iPad and Mac.... I love this program for many reason!!! Using it right now to brew my Smoked Porter on the good ole Brew- Magic! Cheers!

Do the apps sync with each other? For instance, if I make a recipe on my iPad, will it transfer over to my iPhone?

I been told they will in the future but not at the moment! I just export the batch or the receipt and email them to my self, Then I just import them to which ever device I would like it on. So far it works great for me!

I just got it today and keeping track of my Imperial IPa I have in the secondary at the moment. I think it will be helpfull the next time I brew.

Frogger42 said:
Love this app, it is GREAT. One thing i have noticed is that I have continually come up with batches smaller than targeting. Is there any way to adjust boil-off settings?

Under the settings/set up tab, there is a setting for mash profile. You can adjust all of your water losses including boil off (as an hourly rate) in there.

This program is AWESOME! I love it! It helps alot being able to mess with it during down time (deployed). Im still figuring it out but its definatly worth the money. I esp like being able to design a recipie and comparing it to that styles BJCP guidelines. Now if they could add all the calculators that brewalchemy has this thing would be worth its weight in gold!

I bought it for 8 bucks last summer. Considering all the updated features not a bad deal. I would still pay 10 bucks today for it. Still a hell of a deal.
Yeah, I know. But I am a cheap bastid. And yet I do love my toys. I'll prolly get it, but not till after some wrangling with my conscience.

HollisBT said:
Under the settings/set up tab, there is a setting for mash profile. You can adjust all of your water losses including boil off (as an hourly rate) in there.

Awesome! Thank you so much! The default is 0.1 gal/ hour, seriously? I set mine to 1 gal/hr which is more like what I have been experiencing. What do you guys assume? 0.1 seems pretty unrealistic from my experience...

Frogger42 said:
Awesome! Thank you so much! The default is 0.1 gal/ hour, seriously? I set mine to 1 gal/hr which is more like what I have been experiencing. What do you guys assume? 0.1 seems pretty unrealistic from my experience...

1 gal per hour is what my system generally boils off

Is it just me, or is there no way to add yeasts that arent there? For instance, I'm just not seeing West Yorkshire 1469 in there anywhere...

TwoGunz said:
1 gal per hour is what my system generally boils off

So along those lines are there any other default settings that you guys have found to be pretty off mark that are in desperate need of adjustment?

Taypo said:
Is it just me, or is there no way to add yeasts that arent there? For instance, I'm just not seeing West Yorkshire 1469 in there anywhere...

More -> Setup -> Yeast -> Edit -> Add

You're covered

Frogger42 said:
So along those lines are there any other default settings that you guys have found to be pretty off mark that are in desperate need of adjustment?

Not necessarily off the mark, but I created my own mash equipment setup that better predicts the temp drop after strike. I also do a batch sparge and the temp listed is actually the final temp and not the sparge strike temp.

Taypo said:

Don't add any new ingredients until the next release later this month. It will crash if you try to add the new ingredient.

Maybe just take an existing similar yeast and adjust the attenuation etc for the specific recipe.

Where do I figure out the mash steps and what they mean?? I have been using brew pal and doing single infusion mashes and a batch sparge. I bought iBrewmaster today and am confused by their mash step setup. Freeform, Auto., and how the rest steps would be used if doing a step mash....... 😒

I was gonna get Beersmith but was a bit overwhelmed by it, lots of stuff. My setup will be BIAB with a keggle, will this be a good fit?

sivdrinks said:
I was gonna get Beersmith but was a bit overwhelmed by it, lots of stuff. My setup will be BIAB with a keggle, will this be a good fit?

Sure will

I am a pretty big fan of this app. I haven't even begun to max the possibilities that it provides for and I basically do all of my recipe creation/modification with it. From reading the earlier comments in this thread I can tell that the developer has gone out of their way to include anything and everything that is found to be missing or useful and are very serious about customer satisfaction and good product development. When I find something I can't do I'll be sure to bring it up but I'm not holding my breath till that happens lol.

DerCribben said:
I am a pretty big fan of this app. I haven't even begun to max the possibilities that it provides for and I basically do all of my recipe creation/modification with it. From reading the earlier comments in this thread I can tell that the developer has gone out of their way to include anything and everything that is found to be missing or useful and are very serious about customer satisfaction and good product development. When I find something I can't do I'll be sure to bring it up but I'm not holding my breath till that happens lol.

I agree, I started this thread last November and I'm happy to see that the app keeps evolving. I really like having it accessible on my phone all of the time.

What does this have in the way of recipe scaling for odd equipment? I'd love to grab this but I often make little 1 gallon all grain batches and that's the majority of what I use these programs for.

You can select the size of wort desired and it will tell you initial boil volume. What else do you want to know about that subject specifically? I just inputted one of my own recipes and it gave me my anticipated OG and FG, as well as SRM and IBUs based off of my efficiency and hopping schedule.

BurgBrewer said:
You can select the size of wort desired and it will tell you initial boil volume. What else do you want to know about that subject specifically? I just inputted one of my own recipes and it gave me my anticipated OG and FG, as well as SRM and IBUs based off of my efficiency and hopping schedule.

That's all I really need to know, whether or not it will scale down all the way. I had a bad experience with some program or other not wanting to go down past 3 gallons. Thanks a lot!

Here is a quick view of a recipe. I haven't mastered the art of ibrewmaster yet.

image-4194027193.jpg

Iove it. There's some things I'd like to see change but overall it's great. I would really like to see some basic quick calculators such as ABV, priming sugar calculator, hydrometer temp calculator etc but I really can't complain. It's great to have for my brew club meetings because everything I've brewed and the notes are all right there.

what's the easiest way to set up a batch sparge on this thing? i've got my protein rest infusion, main rest, and now I need to do the batch sparge step. any way to do it in-app?

Edit: To clarify, here's what I have as mash steps.

1. Protein Rest 10 min@ 122F, Add 14.62 qt water @ 129.4F for 9.75 lbs grain @ 1.5 qt/lb.

2. Medium Body Infusion 60 min. @ 152F, Add 8.57 qt. water @ 210F

3. I need to know how much water and at what temp. to get to a 170F mash out for a full batch sparge for a 5.25g batch. Make sense?

what's the easiest way to set up a batch sparge on this thing? i've got my protein rest infusion, main rest, and now I need to do the batch sparge step. any way to do it in-app?

1. Protein Rest 10 min@ 122F, Add 14.62 qt water @ 129.4F for 9.75 lbs grain @ 1.5 qt/lb.

3. I need to know how much water and at what temp. to get to a 170F mash out for a full batch sparge for a 5.25g batch. Make sense?

Honestly, Ibrewmaster is not good for this. What I do is use their mash in amount, which is whatever you set 1.25qt / lb or whatever you use.

Then I measure my initial drain, say 5 gallons, and I need 10 for total preboil, I just take the remaining liquid I need and divide by two. Works pretty good, without all the hassle. Of course it means you need an accurate way to measure initial drain, and also to measure going in.
I heat extra water, and use the remaining for cleaning all my equipment.
Hope this helps!

Just read the rest of your post, I honestly don't know on getting the water temps adjusted to give you your 170 degrees. I use 185 sparge water (I also do a double batch sparge) and normally my grain bed is around 165 - 168 degrees.

D-Hutt said:

For your mash out use a custom mash step which is set as follows.

"Auto Calc."
"Infusion"
"Step"

Water to add: Calc (greyed)
Water temp: 212F
Target Mash Temp: 170F
Step Time: 5

The "Water Temp" should be set at the temp you will heat your mash out water to. It needs to be pretty hot or the calculator will one up with a huge volume to add.

The above settings will compute the volume of water at 212F needed to raise your mash to 170F.

I don't use the above settings. I always use free form and just add 8 quarts at 212F. 8 quarts is much easier to measure and gets the job done.

For batch sparge I have a 3rd step: sparge. The volume required for that step auto calculates based in prebiotic volume and the mash in and mash out volumes.

I haven't bought the Mac version due to terrible reviews. I have iPad and iPhone versions. iPad is great, really don't think I'd need the Mac version. iPhone I only use to check recipes while at the brew shop, or if I get a goofy recipe idea when I'm at a bar.

Back