Weizenbock Weizenbock - 2nd place Category 15 winner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
1 pint @ 1.050, 4 days
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 70
Additional Fermentation
Bottle conditioned 21 days @ 70
Tasting Notes
Powerful banana and clove esters, strong malt backbone, and a slight alcohol bite
Weizenbock

Weyermann Pale Wheat 5lbs 8oz
Weyermann Chocolate Wheat 0lbs 8oz
Briess Organic Munich 10 4lbs 0oz
Wyeast 3068 1ea
Rice Hulls 1lb 4oz
Palisades Pellets - 6.5% 0.25oz @60
Palisades Pellets - 6.5% 0.75oz @15

I <3 Weizenbock. For some reason I always thought they needed a much lower fermentation temp, say low 60s. I may have to try this out.

I <3 Weizenbock. For some reason I always thought they needed a much lower fermentation temp, say low 60s. I may have to try this out.

Probably because true bocks, being lagers, require a lower fermentation temperature. Weizenbock, however, isn't Bock :)

I remember reading the BYO Aventinus clone recipe and it requiring lagering. Although the bottle says it's fermented w/ale yeast. Kinda got confused.

If you scale the grain bill from 3.5 to 5 gallons you can probably get a full-sized batch. This was originally supposed to be a dunkelweizen but due to the use of chocolate wheat and the large boil-off (this was before I bought the pot for full boils and boiled side-by-side in two pots) it ended up being much darker and stronger. The mistake ended up placing me in a competition :)

Palisade is like an American-style noble hop. So a bit of the cascade/chinook impression while still being reminiscent of german hops, I guess. I dunno, I'm not great on hops but I always try to change it up where I can.

I'm going to follow this recipe for my first all-grain batch. I love Weizenbock's like no other style, and I'm thinking of dryhopping with some more aggressive aroma hops. Thoughts?

Back