Roeselare Culture from Wyeast a "Dud"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixbillionethans

Reaction score
I've submitted a similar question to Wyeast today in hopes of hearing back from them. I'd be interested in hearing anyone else's response, as well.

Made a DME starter of Roeselare. Did everything the same as my usual starter, but this is my first "wild" starter.

Starter has had no airlock activity, and the sediment on the bottom is a dullish gray instead of white. There has been no increase in sediment quantity in 2 days. I just tasted it, and it was slightly sour, but I could detect some sweetness still. So I'm thinking it's a dud.
T
his is the 20th or so starter that I've made, so I don't suspect it's a flaw in my technique/water/etc. I bought the culture a couple of months ago from NB, along with some other yeast that was used successfully, and the package has been stored in my fridge since then. I did not "smack" the smack-pack since I was making a starter, so I can't attest to the viability.

Any thoughts on what the heck could have happened? I guess now I'll purchase some other batch of wild bugs and pitch then in during secondary, and my rodenbach clone will have to wait another year.

The Roselare blend is very slow acting. I mean, you're talking like a year for a Flanders Red. The actual amount of cerevisae in the culture is probably pretty minimal, so I wouldn't expect significant starter growth.

I've never used it, but as stated above, there is probably no need for a starter this culture.

Start it at 65-75 for the ale yeast to take hold. Let that ferment, then let it go for another year.

Back