Corny Keg Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-ta-sauraus

Reaction score
Originally purchased a Ball lock corny from my local home brew store along with the items needed to hook up to my co2 system. Last week I found 3 cornys on CL for cheap so I called the guy and went to pick them up. I get ther and I find out these are post type kegs, but in decent condition. I had driven 30 miles, so I figured what the heck buy um. Now I have questions?? Two of the keg lids have no purge valve on the lid like my ball lock corny, how do you purge them? 1 of them has what loos like a purge valve, but no pull devise to actually purge it. It looks like an over pressure safty devise, but appears it can be removed with a square tool. Lastly they all say property of coca-cola bottling co. Am I going to have any problems there? They were 3 for $50 bucks, and initially I didnt even think to ask if they were ball lock or pin type. Any help here is appreciated.

All kegs say Property of something or the other...and they don't grind it off when they decommission a keg.
You're just going to have to struggle with the potential for ethics violations while you lie awake at night thinking about brewing. This subject has been discussed to death here.

The pressure valve is just that....a pressure relief valve, and should be replaceable with a ventable valve.

I don't know if you can convert the posts or not....sure would be nice if you could!

Thanks, don't think the "property of" will keep me awake at night. But figuring out how to convice my wife we need a chest freezer for my beer may. So the ones with no purge valve have no way to purge them? It says right on the lid to releive pressure before removing. So with no purge valve how is that done? May have to just purchase 3 new lids and if ball lock posts are available replace the pin locks with ball locks as well.

Purge them through the gas post... No need to spend money on new lids...

All my cornies are pin lock and I have the same safety blow-off valves on about half of the lids... The others are solid lids...

:mug:

just push down the gas in pin with a screwdriver or something. it will vent out the pressure. just dont push in the wrong one. then you get wet

Back