Beer color chart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did make an Excel spreadsheet with colors from 0.5-40 (from memory) in 0.5 increments. I'll post it when I get on my laptop.

Bad Shark Brew said:
Is there somewhere or someway to download the malts chart in excel format or aything like that?
If you open the page in Internet Explorer and highlight the entire chart, you can then copy and paste into excel. It will even preserve the links so you can click on the malt names for more information from the wiki.

If you have some experience with Excel, I have a utility I made that will create a chart for you. One page has the RGB coordinates for each color in 0.1 increments. You can look up a color and then use the RGB coordinates in a shape you create from the drawing toolbar. Or, I have a short macro that will draw one for you. If you are interested, PM me.

bradsul said:
If you open the page in Internet Explorer and highlight the entire chart, you can then copy and paste into excel. It will even preserve the links so you can click on the malt names for more information from the wiki.

Worked like a charm...Thanks!!! :rockin:

Bearcat - Appreciate the offer, but I'm not that good with Excel.

What is the proper way to test color? I'm guessing that looking at a beer in a glass is not the right way. Is there a proper procedure? For example, should you put a drop on a white surface and compare that to your chart? Is there a proper film thickness? Any info would be interesting.

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
If you have some experience with Excel, I have a utility I made that will create a chart for you. One page has the RGB coordinates for each color in 0.1 increments. You can look up a color and then use the RGB coordinates in a shape you create from the drawing toolbar. Or, I have a short macro that will draw one for you. If you are interested, PM me.

PM sent. :rockin:

The only problem with the charts viewed on the computer is that they can be extremely inaccurate unless your monitor has been calibrated. But I guess that doesn't matter if you just want to get an idea of the colour.

Back