Indian tacos, Fry bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawai

Reaction score
My Transplanted Michigan-Amish-country raised wife has learned to make these.. used to be I only saw fry bread at motorcycle rallies in Cherokee North Carolina.. INdian Tacos.. piled high.. My Wife, She even shared one with a Navajo coworker and he ranted and raved on them.

Not sure there is a "healthy" way to cook them other than float them in oil..
THE King-Arthur flour you guys put me onto in the pizza thread sure makes them chewy.. AND sugar-cinnamon sprinkled on them while hot makes a crispy treat that rivals most bakeries..

(I've lost the pictures from last night.. you post one please) Edit found some older ones.

My second wife was Lakota Sioux, she made them for me years ago, I poured pancake syrup on them and she squalled. We never really did understand each other anyways.

(this morning I think I am going French and making crepes)..

Fry bread indian taco.jpg

Fry bread taco.jpg

I gotta dig out this recipe for fry bread I found from an old woman who was raised on this res where Apache & Navajo were tossed together. I made tacos with them & the family loved them more than the usual way. Real easy to make & the flavor is perfect with taco stuffins.

Forgot which recipe book I stuck it in. Still trying to find it. Hold on...OK,here it is! Whew,my eyes are tired.
3C flour (she used Blue Bird from Mexico,they all seem to)
3tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
Stir dry ingredients together. Stir in 1/2C of regular milk,adding a bit of water till it forms a soft dough. Place in bowl covered & let sit for 20 minutes. This will get the baking powder working so they rise well when fried. Turn out onto floured surface & need till smooth & no lumps,etc. Break off pieces & roll into balls about twice the size of a golf ball.
Melt lard or Crisco in blackened cast iron skillet about 1/2" deep. This gives a better flavor than oil. It has to be very hot,but not smoking. You're basically going to flash fry it. So roll out a ball of dough to 8-10" around. Gently stretch over hands till 11" or so,about the diameter of the cast iron skillet bottom. Don't stretch it too thin,or they get hard. Immediately lay it flat on top of the hot fat. Lift edges with a fork or tongues so the center will lay flat & cook. When it's light golden brown,turn it over without splashing. Kinda like stirin in priming sugar. When golden brown on both sides,place standing on edge in a pan lined with paper towels. This goes faster if one rolls while the other fries them. Serve warm with cooked beans or native taco fillings. Seems to me it made 12 or so. I think carne asada with new mexico chilis,sanoras,& the like cooked in it would be great with these & some cheese.

Sorry guys, I never posted our recipe. My wife is going to get gall bladder surgery, first we blamed my cooking, and the home brew.. but no.

Glad someone else.. (that's you UnionRDR) posted a recipe, Thank you

I'll add our version ASAP..

You're welcome. Just addin my 2c,not trying to take it over or anything. Bein the g-g-g-grandson of an Apache chief made me curious finally last year.

dipped in hot honey and melted butter. Completely cuts the fat and makes them healthy...............

Okay not completely.

Dude,you ain't lived till you sprinkle that combo with cinnamon sugar! That's another classic combo. I'll be makin native steak fajitas with leftover pit bbq'd steak tomorrow. Pitin' 3 extra steaks for tomorrows dinner. today is 36th anniversary with pit bbq & 3 different home brews. And those lil smokie-stuffed jalepeno poppers! got some fresh picked locally yesterday. They're friggin HUGE for jalepenos...never saw'em this big. Gotta get a pic when they're smoked up a bit...

Wife is still down, I am quite busy. I have 12 gallons ready to keg and not had time yet.

Cleaning them stuffed jalapenos.. use the "spoon trick" I used to shell eggs.. bust it down the middle with a kitchen knife, then take the spoon and scoop out the seeds and shell.. done..

I still get hot crap under my fingernails and get it in the corners of my eyes thou..

NOT real sure how the gall bladder being gone from my wife will affect our diet around here.. right now she is eating nothing but toast.. coffee.. and pain pills.

Wife is still down, I am quite busy. I have 12 gallons ready to keg and not had time yet.

Cleaning them stuffed jalapenos.. use the "spoon trick" I used to shell eggs.. bust it down the middle with a kitchen knife, then take the spoon and scoop out the seeds and shell.. done..

I still get hot crap under my fingernails and get it in the corners of my eyes thou..

NOT real sure how the gall bladder being gone from my wife will affect our diet around here.. right now she is eating nothing but toast.. coffee.. and pain pills.

When I had my gall bladder out ( pizza was one of my bad trigger foods) doctor told me after I recovered to go find a good all you eat pizza place lol. Pretty much no restrictions.

Hey this silly woman, drank 1/2 gallon of our biker brew beer last weekend.. she must feel better..

HERE SHE IS WITH HER VERSION of the fry bread..: (I'm off for a nap after doing a barbeque here)

3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 level tsp salt
3 rounded tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup warm water

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly with a fork then add milk & water. Mix till well combined. Dough will be slightly sticky. Cover the mixing bowl with a towel & let rest for at least 30 minutes (up to 45 minutes).
Pinch off plum sized pieces of dough & roll out on a floured surface. {We make ours about 6 inches around & they fit well in our large cast iron skillet.}
Pour vegetable oil in your skillet to 1/4" depth & heat over medium heat. When oil is ready, carefully place rolled out dough into skillet & fry for about 1 minute on each side. Move to a paper towel lined plate & continue till you're out of dough.
This recipe will usually make a dozen fry breads for us but it's so easy to half the recipe since they don't really reheat well. We top them with taco fixins or chili & cheese or pulled pork & sauce. We'll take the last few & sprinkle with cinnamon sugar as soon as they leave the skillet & it's the next best thing to an elephant ear pastry from the county fair. Sure to make your belly happy.

Back