Bru'n water, add acid too bring up PH makes BiCarb to high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
I am using RO water and I am trying to brew an amber Octoberfest beer. I got all my mineral additions correct, then my mash PH was only at about 5.2. I raised the mash PH by adding Pickling Lime and adjusting the other minerals to keep everything near the Amber Balanced profile. Everything is good mineral wise and mash PH wise now, but my BiCarb is 63, when Bru'n water suggests around 40. Is this going to be ok? I am a little confused about if BiCarb gets higher to make the mash PH appropriate, is that ok?

The bicarbonate concentrations presented in the Bru'n Water water profiles are only a first guess and are NOT a target values. If you review the pop-up comments in the cells related to bicarbonate, you will see that there is guidance regarding that first guess. Every grist has differing acidity and its not possible to predict how much bicarbonate is needed to produce an acceptable mash pH.

Adjust the bicarbonate content as needed to achieve a desirable mash pH.

Got it. I did read the comments and thats what i thought they were saying but i just wanted to double check. Thanks!

Back