Opening bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cacaca86

Reaction score
Ok so after opening a bottle to only find out it isn't quite ready, can you recap the bottle or is it now useless garbage?

Recap ASAP. If it's a chilled bottle CO2 loss will be minimal, in some ways this may actually be a good thing as the expanding CO2 will force out the air in the neck of the bottle giving you a more sanitary vessel.

How long did you let it sit before opening? Did you chill it fully before opening??

Rules for bottle carbonating...
1. The minimum time is 3 weeks at 70F
2. Chill a sample bottle for at least 5 days, 7 being better.
3. The 3 weeks at 70F is a MINIMUM time frame. Trying before then most often results in postings about bottles being under (or not) carbonated.

There's too many posts to count covering this already.

How long did you let it sit before opening? Did you chill it fully before opening??

3. The 3 weeks at 70F is a MINIMUM time frame. Trying before then most often results in postings about bottles being under (or not) carbonated.

This advice may be true for beer, not applicable to cider though.

I make my "sample" bottles from plastic water bottles. I can feel the carb build up without opening. If it feels right I open one and try it. If it's OK I have something to drink while I stove-top pasteurize & label the glass bottles. :ban:

MarkKF said:
I make my "sample" bottles from plastic water bottles. I can feel the carb build up without opening. If it feels right I open one and try it. If it's OK I have something to drink while I stove-top pasteurize & label the glass bottles. :ban:

+1 I even do that for my beer. I use a lil 6 oz plastic coke bottle and hasn't failed me yet. When it's hard it's ready to be drank\pasteurized.

Really? Because mine are usually done in UNDER a week.

I use a plastic pop bottle, mainly because it is built to handle the pressure, but other than that, it's the same as what you do.

Golddiggie said:

Theyve sat 4 weeks or so at about 68-70F. Chilled one at 4 days and second at 6... Thinking about letting the next one sit in fridge for 2 wks...

Back