The Ultimate Explanation for EACism!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen similar studies showing the average criminal has very high self-esteem and considers himself to be much smarter than most people. Getting caught is always because of bad luck or someone else making a mistake.

I couldn't disagree more. Seems to me that most people around here think they have a TON to learn.

I am confused - so if I know little I know everything but I if know everything then I assume that I know little. So.... If I know that I know little then I should actually know everything. In that case I am a rocket scientist, and a sheep farmer and a toothpast brush engineer. ...and those are not connected.

I know that I need another beer now, so that means I need a lot more beers than I think I need?

They set out to test these hypotheses on human subjects consisting of Cornell undergraduates who were registered in various psychology courses.

Ah, ha! Did any of you notice the flaw in this study. They assumed that college undergraduates were human and that students who took psycology courses were proper subjects for the study.

I might also point out that the age group of this study would be likely very young and therefore lack the experience to have shed off all of the teenager "know it all" that every parent that has raised children knows a bit about.

KopyKat said:
and therefore lack the experience to have shed off all of the teenager know it all that every parent that has raised children knows a bit about.

well that pretty much sums up EACs right there

rdwj said:
I couldn't disagree more. Seems to me that most people around here think they have a TON to learn.

+1. I agree, that sounds like the complete opposite of EAC (as it is understood on these boards).

I think much more interesting is "The Andy Scale" letter from Cartalk.

http://cartalk.com/content/features/hell/Bestof/Andy/

Andy R.
Marlboro, VT 05344

Dear Click and Clack,

I am writing to offer profound thanks to you for resolving an important philosophical question that has been heatedly debated for the last twenty years. The rumination began on a construction site one summer in the early 1970's, as my friend Jamie and I were working our way through college. The question we raised and have agonized over, lo these many years, is one that I've never read about in any philosophical treatise, and yet I have found it has applied to countless situations and conversations overheard in bars, repair shops, sporting events, political debates, etc. etc. etc.

Posit the question: Do two people who don't know what they are talking about know more or less than one person who doesn't know what he's talking about? (Pardon the un-PC masculine pronoun, but I have found this to be, most predominately, a male phenomenon.)

In your recent conversations regarding electric brakes on a cattle carrier, I believe you definitely answered this query and have put our debate to rest. Amazingly enough, you proved that even in a case where one person might know nothing about a subject, it is possible for two people to know even less!

One person will only go so far out on a limb in his construction of deeply hypothetical structures, and will often end with a shrug or a raising of hands to indicate the dismissability of his particular take on a subject. With two people, the intricacies, the gives and takes, the wherefores and why-nots, can become a veritable pas-de-deux of breathtaking speculation, interwoven in such a way that apologies or gestures of doubt are rendered unnecessary.

I had always suspected this was the case, but no argument I could have built from my years of observation would have so satisfyingly closed the door on the subject as your performance on the cattle carrier call. To begin your comments by saying, "We'll answer your question if you tell us how electric brakes work" and "We've never heard of electric brakes" and then indulge in lengthy theoretical hypostulations on the whys and wherefores of the caller's problem allowed me to observe that you were finally putting this gnarly question to rest.

I am forever indebted to you for the great service you have performed! I'm truly impressed that it took so many years of listening to your show to finally have this matter resolved.

Sincerely,
Andy R.

Hmmm, let's see...

Dunning-Kruger effect

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dunning-Kruger effect is the phenomenon whereby people who have little knowledge systematically think that they know more than others who have much more knowledge.

The phenomenon was demonstrated in a series of experiments performed by Justin Kruger and David Dunning, then both of Cornell University. Their results were published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology in December 1999.[1]

1. incompetent individuals tend to overestimate their own level of skill,
  2. incompetent individuals fail to recognize genuine skill in others,
  3. incompetent individuals fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy,
  4. if they can be trained to substantially improve their own skill level, these individuals can recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/
See also

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/
References

1. homebrewtalk.com :D :ban:

david_42 said:
I've seen similar studies showing the average criminal has very high self-esteem and considers himself to be much smarter than most people. Getting caught is always because of bad luck or someone else making a mistake.
that's called inferiority complex. it's all show.

If it gets to the point where you have nothing to learn then it's time to give up.
If it gets to the point where you don't want to learn then it's time to find something else that's worth learning.
If it gets to the point where you know it all then it's not worth Knowing.

orfy said:
If it gets to the point where you have nothing to learn then it's time to give up.
If it gets to the point where you don't want to learn then it's time to find something else that's worth learning.
If it gets to the point where you know it all then it's not worth Knowing.

I disagree.......

If you get to the point when you actually do know it all, then it's time to raise the bar even further for everyone else

I believe it was Mark Twain who said, "People who think they know everything are very annoying to those of us who actually do."

As it pertains to EACness, I think I have a realistic assessment of my knowledge. Back when I used to play a lot of chess, I knew just about every chess opening out to 20 or 30 moves- Queen's gambit, Benko, Benoni, Ruy Lopez, English, etc etc... I also knew a ton of end games and was a pretty good player. Now, on the one hand, I definitely was acutely aware of how LITTLE I knew... I didn't have my master rating and was really nowhere close to competing with those guys. On the other hand, if someone wanted to argue about how the horsey moved, well, I was certainly credentialled enough to call them an idiot if they disagreed with me.

So too is the case with EACness. Though there are few people here with the in-depth knowledge that a true expert would have, we nevertheless are more than qualified to say that something made with bread yeast and 5 pounds of table sugar is going to taste like a$$....

This is also reminiscent of the whole, "everyone is special, everybody is good at everything" mentality that kids are raised with. My uncle enrolled his kid in Teeball. Every kid bats every inning. There are no outs. If thrown out at first, you stay on first. Then, every kid runs the bases after the last kid bats.

Where the hell is the sense of accomplishment in that? Where the hell are the realistic expectations? The times I felt the most empowered, the most intelligent, the most capable, were the times when I did something difficult. To make matters worse, it seems to me that the longer you keep feeding kids unrealistic expectations, the more likely they are to snap when they meet the real world.

rdwj said:
Seems to me that most people around here think they have a TON to learn.

McCall St. Brewer said:
No. I've only been brewing for a couple of years, but I know much more than most people know about it. ;)

Those two statements aren't mutually exclusive. But it could explain the underpinnings of what it means to be an EAC. You at least have an appreciation for the things that you don't know... and perhaps a certain confidence/arrogance regarding that which you do know... or some impatience with regard to people who question the simplest of things...

Back