Commercial Kegerator Restoration Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCanFly

Reaction score
So I found a True TDD-3 commercial kegerator on Craigslist today. It was only $200, so I couldn't pass it up. I got it home and plugged it in to see if it worked. It came on and made a buzzing sound but it seemed to be working. I started looking at the wiring and found that some of the wires were spliced together with wire nuts and others were held together with electrical tape! The insulation has fallen off a few wires. I'm just glad I didn't burn the house down. Needless to say I'm going to have to rewire it. I can figure out what wires go to what, but I'm not sure how to secure them. I might need some help on that part. It's also going to require a ton of cleaning. You know that smell on your clothes the morning after a night at a smoky bar? This thing smells like that times 1,000!

I still haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it when I'm done sprucing it up. It's a little big for my one car garage, but it is bad ass.
If anybody has experience with this sort of thing, I could really use some help.
Here are some pics.
IMG_20110615_181530.jpg

IMG_20110615_201745.jpg

IMG_20110615_201859.jpg

I have a beverage air commercial. All commercial refrigerators run the evaporator fan anytime it is plugged in. The temperature control runs to a junction box that the compressor is plugged into and switches the compressor on. You got a great deal as long as the compressor is good. Unplug it from the junction box and plug it direct to a 110 volt source to make sure it chills.

I might make half of it in to a fermentation chamber. I don't know how, but I'll figure it out.

It had all of these taps and pumps inside. I wonder if I can get a couple bucks for them to help fund the project. Do ya'll think it would be safe to throw them in the dish washer?
IMG_20110616_141233.jpg

Hey, nice score!

I love those because you don't have to hoist your kegs over the rim like I do with my keezer.

Oh yeah, sorry I can't help you with it, but if you can fix it up you should hold on to it. Those things are both awesome and expensive.

I got a couple chips off the ice berg today.
I found this wiring diagram.
IMG_20110616_145021.jpg

Look at this!
IMG_20110616_143414.jpg

Got the fan all cleaned up.
IMG_20110616_163258.jpg

Just out of curiosity I put a plug on it and plugged it in. It didn't work!
Anybody know how to take a fan motor like this apart?
IMG_20110616_165047.jpg

Time for work!

I recently got a beverage aire kegerator from my cousins friend for free and looks around the same shape as this. Please keep the progress coming!

I'd hate to have to buy a new fan motor if I could just fix this one. It's an NRP 5411. Does anyone know anything about these?
IMG_20110617_135727.jpg

I don't know anything about the fan motor but you also might not have to replace it with the exact same motor if you can find something similar with the some voltage/wattage input and RPM's or higher you should be okay. I would try disassembling and seeing if it's just gunked up on the inside or has a bad connection somewhere.

Also found this link: http://www.truemfg.com/CC_catalogs/true_master/lines/region2/area/pdf/TDD-3.pdf not very helpful as far as wiring goes but cool

Last edited by a moderator:
The kegerator has been on the back burner because I've been really busy with work. When I'm not working I've been reading up on your electric build.
That fan is perfect! I'm going to go ahead and get it. Thanks for finding it!! I'll update when it gets here.

you want to sale this thing? i have a bev air that i am rebuilding and would not mind rebuild a true

Latest posts

Back