Yeast for amber ale and imperial stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jclimacus

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm planning an amber ale for next weekend (roughly 1.065) and would like to use the same yeast for an imperial stout after it's finished. Many recipes I've seen suggest Wyeast 1056 is the most suitable. I'm intrigued, however, by using 1332 Northwest Ale for the amber, since I would like something to accentuate the malt character. I have no experience with 1332, and am wondering how it might behave with an imperial stout. Wyeast's description states it has a noticeably lower attenuation range than 1056, so that is a concern of mine. Obviously I can use two different yeasts, but I have been eager to try my hand at harvesting a slurry for a while now--and also save a little bit of money. Any ideas?

I am doing the exact same process. I have an amber ale (1.056) going now and a RIS (~1.100) is getting dumped onto the yeast cake when it finishes and I am using WLP001.

I assume your imperial stout will be BIG so attenuation is an issue. I would go for the 1056 just because of that. I have never used 1332 but it seems you won't need any extra help getting a malt character in a big stout.

Go for it with the 1332. Since you'll be harvesting you should be able to compensate with numbers to push the attenuation up. Plus, you'll probably be making a starter for the amber (right?) the harvested yeast should be nice & healthy.

Back