The Dilemna: Lager or Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyMountainHops

Reaction score
First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I wasnt sure where to post it as it could probably go under multiple headings.

I have a rare opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone on a future brew and I am seeking the advice of yall.

For about a year now my brother in law has been asking me to make him a "Mexican Pils." Well, his birthday is in June and so I thought, I'll make him a case for his birthday complete with labels (i did this for his wife for a christmas gift - only a belgian wit). Well, my mother in law wants me to brew a case of beer for her best friend, and a dear friend to us too, for her birthday which happens to be in June as well. Her favorite beer is Corona (mexican pils, obviously). So, when my MIL asked me to create this beer for her friend, she said she'd pay for the supplies, if I didnt mind doing the "work." I clearly dont mind doing the "work," as the "work" she is talking about is brewing, and as you all know, we dont need an excuse to brew. So, with all of that said, I am thinking about that kit from AHS entitled "Mexican Pilsner" which is described as being similar to Corona. I figured I would make this batch, have my MIL front the bill, and divide it amongst her friend and her son.

Here is my question/dilemna: Should I lager the beer (as it is meant to be made), or should I make it as an Ale? I have lagered before once, prior to my kegerator being hooked up to 2 kegs and it was one of the best beers I have ever made. If I lager it and set the temp to 55*-ish for the fermentation to take place, will this affect the 2 existing beers I have on tap? I would hate to ruin 2 kegs of beer in the name of making a lager.

I spoke with a dude at AHS today and he said the yeast it ships with can be made as an Ale, but at that point it makes it more of a Steam Beer with more flavor than a traditional Mexican Pilsner. In all honesty, I dont mind lagering it as I have the time to do so, I just am concerned about spoiling the other beers on tap. I am not sure I am willing to let my kegerator run dry in the name of lagering a batch.

Should I be concerned? Or will I be fine? I appreciate yall's help and thank you in advance.

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I wasnt sure where to post it as it could probably go under multiple headings.

I have a rare opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone on a future brew and I am seeking the advice of yall.

For about a year now my brother in law has been asking me to make him a "Mexican Pils." Well, his birthday is in June and so I thought, I'll make him a case for his birthday complete with labels (i did this for his wife for a christmas gift - only a belgian wit). Well, my mother in law wants me to brew a case of beer for her best friend, and a dear friend to us too, for her birthday which happens to be in June as well. Her favorite beer is Corona (mexican pils, obviously). So, when my MIL asked me to create this beer for her friend, she said she'd pay for the supplies, if I didnt mind doing the "work." I clearly dont mind doing the "work," as the "work" she is talking about is brewing, and as you all know, we dont need an excuse to brew. So, with all of that said, I am thinking about that kit from AHS entitled "Mexican Pilsner" which is described as being similar to Corona. I figured I would make this batch, have my MIL front the bill, and divide it amongst her friend and her son.

Here is my question/dilemna: Should I lager the beer (as it is meant to be made), or should I make it as an Ale? I have lagered before once, prior to my kegerator being hooked up to 2 kegs and it was one of the best beers I have ever made. If I lager it and set the temp to 55*-ish for the fermentation to take place, will this affect the 2 existing beers I have on tap? I would hate to ruin 2 kegs of beer in the name of making a lager.

I spoke with a dude at AHS today and he said the yeast it ships with can be made as an Ale, but at that point it makes it more of a Steam Beer with more flavor than a traditional Mexican Pilsner. In all honesty, I dont mind lagering it as I have the time to do so, I just am concerned about spoiling the other beers on tap. I am not sure I am willing to let my kegerator run dry in the name of lagering a batch.

Should I be concerned? Or will I be fine? I appreciate yall's help and thank you in advance.

Of course you should lager it.

Why do you think it would wreck the existing two kegs in your kegerator?

I have never served my beer warmer than the 38* it has always been set on. Am I just being delusional? I think I am searching for someone to tell me the beer in the kegs will be fine - lager away you idiot!

With that being said...anyone care to just tell me to go for it?

Of course the beer in the kegs will be fine. You won't have the temp at 55 for much more than the fermentation period anyway, except for the D-rest (which will be even warmer).

All you should need to do is adjust the pressure on your kegs to make up for the (short term) warmer temperature.

I store (and serve) most of my beer around 55F and have only had one go weird on me. That was a barleywine and it was fine for the first 4 years.

Back