What's Brewing This Weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I've got my stout going right now. Heating up the mash water. It's going to be a straight forward Dry Stout ~ 1.050

Bottling my IPA in the morning, then making a straightforward, modest-gravity (~1048) pale ale. Want something real drinkable ready for March Madness. Hopping with Northern Brewer and Cascade, the combo Walker uses in his kick-ass IPA. Couple pounds of Vienna and some crystal 20, pretty straighforward grain bill as well.

Sounds good. My stout is also very similar to a Walker brew. We both formulated stout recipes sometime a couple months ago. I think his was only 2-row, roasted barley and a little flaked barley, and using only EKG hops. Mine is using a little chocolate malt as well, but that's it.

I hurt my back, but if I can manage to wrangle the equipment upstairs, I'm going to try a Belgian White. I have the starter done and in the fridge now. Getting old sucks, but getting decrepid is the absolute pits.

I'm going to do a California Common. It's nice and cool here and should not be to much work to keep it in the high 50's.

This is the time that I did a CA Common last year here in LA. Right now my garage is saying 45 and we might have record lows tonight...again for LA. ;)

I just racked my belgian over during the mash. FG is about 1.014! That's with a starting gravity of 1.082!!!:rockin: Almost 82% attenuation! That's with a lb. of candi sugar syrup. 9.0% abv. It's going to need to age. Good thing it's Christmas Gifts 07. :D

I'd probably do my Amber this weekend too, but my wife would kill me! :D We've got other stuff to do this weekend anyways, and I'm a bit short on cash as well. Next week...

Brewsmith said:
I'd probably do my Amber this weekend too, but my wife would kill me! :D We've got other stuff to do this weekend anyways, and I'm a bit short on cash as well. Next week...
Damn man you make a lot of beer.:)

I'ts more like I'm going to need to restock the kegerator, all 4 kegs!

The last several brews I've made are either to give away or save for a while:
Wit - For my dad for his birthday later this month
Belgian - Christmas gifts next year
Barleywine - Going to age a year
Blonde - For a friend

Meanwhile, all of the kegs are getting low. The stout is replacing the porter, the amber will replace the red, and I'm going to do a kolsch to replace the hefeweizen. I just want to get the stout done before the keg blows so it can go right in it.

I'm bottling my first brew tomorrow. I've been cleaning bottles tonight. Remind me to never, ever use Amstel Light bottles again!!

I'd like to go ahead and rack my Red Wheat to my secondary so I can make something else, but I'm thinking it's too early. It's only been one week and I'm still seeing activity in the airlock - about a bubble every 10 seconds or so. There is a very thick, dense-looking head on it still. Is that normal? My first batch didn't look anything like that after a week....

It's still fementing, leave it be. I suspect the reason the krausten looks different is the wheat. In any case, bubbles = active fermenation = leave it alone for a while.

GRABASS is getting together tomorrow at Nosnhojr's house. Nosnhojr is brewing a Maibock, Walker is doing a Bohemian Pilsner & I am doing a California Common. We're hoping that Baron Von Beegee, our Lager Consultant, can sneak out of the house for a few hours.

Another keg of Haus Ale. The last one lasted only 17 days. I'll probably start another 5 or 10 gallons of Apfelwein. Can't have enough of that kegged, carbed & ready.

Nothing today, I'm still waiting for Ed's apfelwein to finish, it's only been two weeks, and I've got a american pale ale in the secondary. Today I'm concentrating on putting together my first all grain system.

Dead Guy Ale, AG kit with Pacman yeast. Made a starter last night, brewing tomorrow. Today I'm replaceing the SS braid in my MLT with a SS false bottom, and installing a sight glass in my keggle.

Well, I'm up bright and early this morning and getting ready to mash in the grains for my Strong Belgian Dark. Back to back 5 gallon batches that I will eventually rack into that Bordeaux barrel.

Kegging ESB and installing 2 Banjo Burners and a burner under the MLT on Brew-Tus. Will be brewing a session pale ale next week for bike week, going to use my small cornies and strap them on the bike for the campground.....

Ten gal of stout! I'll split it and do five with irish ale yeast and five with german alt.

-p

Did that Magic Hat #9 clone today, man that was an expensive batch at $44 worth of ingredients...I need to start doing AG soon...

Also racked my Christmas Ale into a keg and brought it to work, sitting in a cold room now, should be yummy come Monday!

Brewed an all vienna alt beer and kegged an IPA and a spiced winter brew. I plan on brewing something up tomorrow. I cannot decide on what I want to brew. Have ingredients for a Koelsch or amber ale. Hmmm?

just finished brewing my second version of dead man ale. this time around i changed perle hops to norther brewer and add german hallentaru smells nice and i dumped it on the cake of the last dead mans ale

Depending on how tomorrow goes, I might make my blueberry melomel.

My Dead Fly Ale may end up absolutely ass-tacular.

Probably nothing. Winter has come to Wisconsin and that means no more brewing outside for awhile. SWMBO will kill me if I try to go back to brewing in the house.

Oh, well. It's an el nino year. Maybe it will warm up again next week.

Making Cristal a Cuban pilsner. Racked my Pilsner Urquell to secondary. Lagering Bitburger pils and another Czech pilsner.

What's brewing? Some new stud walls and electrical work. Tonight, I imbibe with my crew on some Eau-de-Vie distilled deliciousness, which, given all the work I did yesterday and this morning, will be well-earned. I just don't envy my future self...like...tomorrow-morning-self...:D

But I needed a weekend off from brewing. Blasphemy, perhaps, but I've been brewing like it's goin' outta style. It's nice to hang it up for one weekend at least :D

:rockin: :ban:

Hit 79% efficiency on my pale ale!

:rockin: :ban:

Best I've done by far (previous high was 70%). Finally remembered to add the PH buffer to the mash for the full period, and since I was doing a modest brew (was counting on a 1048 OG), I was able to sparge (batch sparge) for more than I usually would. Hit my 5.5 gallon target spot-on.

Other that the propane tank almost catching on fire and nearly taking out the neighborhood, a GREAT session!

Brewed up a Tripel yesterday and showed SWMBO that my current brew pot is WAY too small. So today I am shopping around for a keggle and the assorted bits and pieces. :D AG here I come... slowly but surely.

the_bird said:
Other that the propane tank almost catching on fire and nearly taking out the neighborhood, a GREAT session!
I nearly did that too. I didn't know it but my gas supply line from the tank touched part of the metal framework of the cooker and melted through. The hose is metal encased in rubber. It melted enough the rubber and gas started leaking out.
Always watch where your gas line is and don't let it come in contact with your burner!

Back