Recommend a thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good thermometer? I need one to check strike and sparge water temps and also mash and sparge temps..... I would like one with a wired probe but I am afraid of the wire contacting the side of the pot while heating water.

Sounds a bit dubious the way you calibrate it. 'put it in ice water and hit a button'. That doesn't sound like it'd be an accurate way of going about calibrating..

The point I was trying to make is that I can think of no better way to calibrate a thermometer.

"1 inch of crushed ice and water" (much different than 'some ice water' as you said) will always be darn close to 32F/0C assuming you give the water time to get down to ice temp. (which shouldn't take long) To my knowledge there is nothing else that everyone has easy access to that would be as precise.

Then what would you suggest?

I used to use that thermometer. It could be calibrated at boiling, or at freezing. For awhile it seemed accurate...that is I could calibrate it in a glass or crushed ice at 32, and it'd be right at 212 at boiling. And vice versa. But after a few weeks it would always be off on one end. Calibrate it at freezing and it'd show 205 (or whatever) at boiling. Calibrate it at 212 and it'd show 38 in the ice. Hard to trust the important middle values. I have no idea what caused it to drift off like that, but if you go that route be sure to calibrate and check it (at both ends) often.

I cook a lot, and brew a lot. When I finally broke down and got a Thermapen, I was mad at myself for not getting one sooner. Its a very nice thermometer. If you spend a little more, you can get a model that has a detachable k type probe. They offer at least 30 different probes, including the 2 second instant read probe on the Thermapen.

First go through a bunch of cheap thermometers, then when you're ready to quit monkeying around, get a Thermapen:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen.html

Or better yet save yourself the time and expense and just get the Thermapen now.

I don't own a thermopen, but I agree with the sentiment. I've been through 4 thermometers and frustrated each time (1 I had, 3 I bought). I think I got lucky with a cheapo 4th one (Seemed to work well for my last batch), but if you look at what I dumped on the 3 altogether and the pain/suffering of missing your temps... it would have been better buying a thermapen to begin with.

I cook a lot, and brew a lot. When I finally broke down and got a Thermapen, I was mad at myself for not getting one sooner. Its a very nice thermometer. If you spend a little more, you can get a model that has a detachable k type probe. They offer at least 30 different probes, including the 2 second instant read probe on the Thermapen.

The Thermapen is the best and most accurate thermometer I've ever owned -- pricey, but worth every penny. Beyond that I have 2 detachable probe thermometers that have proven to be invaluable.

The Thermapen is the best and most accurate thermometer I've ever owned -- pricey, but worth every penny. Beyond that I have 2 detachable probe thermometers that have proven to be invaluable.

Lets take this a step further then, what are the best (detachable or long) probe type thermometers used for our hobby?

I have the MTC Mini Handheld Thermocouple, with a probe I got off of ebay. It has shown me that my cheapy Target digital is dead on. I guess the cheap ones vary in quality.

The point I was trying to make is that I can think of no better way to calibrate a thermometer.

"1 inch of crushed ice and water" (much different than 'some ice water' as you said) will always be darn close to 32F/0C assuming you give the water time to get down to ice temp. (which shouldn't take long) To my knowledge there is nothing else that everyone has easy access to that would be as precise.

I loled pretty hard. So you are going to try and argue that crushed ice and water is not ice and water?

Expanding on what Edcculus said earlier in this thread: I purchased the following setup based on the recommendation of someone else on this board and I've been really pleased with it through three brew days so far (two extract, one all-grain). It's by the Themopen people.

This mini handheld thermocouple:
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html

And the "PTFE/FEP Tip Probe" on this page:
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/probe/tc_wire.html
Nice! I didn't realize they made a cheaper body. I thought this was the only option with replaceable k-type probes.

Lets take this a step further then, what are the best (detachable or long) probe type thermometers used for our hobby?

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I know some people make bulkheads in their mash tun to stick a probe into. I'd probably get one with a high temp wire so it could double as a oven/smoker meat thermometer also.

Then why comment. You can post whore in general chit chat.

For clarity. So, you are suggesting that no one should raise questions to things, but just sit there instead? The whole point of getting a good thermometer is that it is accurate and if it doesn't seem like that product would fit those conditions (accuracy), then that would cancel out getting that product, wouldn't it? So, clarity would be needed of it's effectiveness in order to commit to buy it.

I bought one from Williams-Sonoma. It is a digital oil and candy thermometer that can stay immersed in the water and it clips to the side of your pot. I think that it is working great so far. I used it on my stove top for partial boils, so I'm not sure how well it will work on a gas burner for full-boils. Sooner or later I will be doing a partial mash (with deathbrewers technique) and will be using it for that as my temp guage.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/digital-oil-and-candy-thermometer/?pkey=x|4|1||4|thermometer||0&cm_src=SCH

For clarity. So, you are suggesting that no one should raise questions to things, but just sit there instead? The whole point of getting a good thermometer is that it is accurate and if it doesn't seem like that product would fit those conditions (accuracy), then that would cancel out getting that product, wouldn't it? So, clarity would be needed of it's effectiveness in order to commit to buy it.

I think it was hard to tell the stream of conversation there. It appeared to me, until I went back and read through the thread, that you just chimed in saying "I have no comment" to the entire threat. In that context, the comment is not necessary. I'm sure Wild West made the same mistake as I did. You actually were making a valid statement regarding a previous post in the thread, so no harm, no foul.

I think it was hard to tell the stream of conversation there. It appeared to me, until I went back and read through the thread, that you just chimed in saying "I have no comment" to the entire threat. In that context, the comment is not necessary. I'm sure Wild West made the same mistake as I did. You actually were making a valid statement regarding a previous post in the thread, so no harm, no foul.

Probably what happened

Well said. Plus the fact I and another person, had just stated it was an excellent thermometer. I've been using one for 40+ batches and it has remained a great thermometer. I would never shell out $80+ for a thermepen (not debating it's a fine product) when something that good can be had for $20.:mug:

I would never shell out $80+ for a thermepen (not debating it's a fine product) when something that good can be had for $20.:mug:

As much as I love my Thermapen, its definitely not for everyone. If you don't cook a lot, its a bit much to spend on a brewing thermometer.

Well said. Plus the fact I and another person, had just stated it was an excellent thermometer. I've been using one for 40+ batches and it has remained a great thermometer. I would never shell out $80+ for a thermepen (not debating it's a fine product) when something that good can be had for $20.:mug:

Yeah, I actually have an interest in that thermometer, it just seems like if I couldn't find a reliable way to calibrate it, there'd be no point

As much as I love my Thermapen, its definitely not for everyone. If you don't cook a lot, its a bit much to spend on a brewing thermometer.

Yes indeedy.

I'd say that likely any of the inexpensive detachable probe thermometers would do the trick (both of mine are) -- although I'd say do a quick calibration check in boiling water, then in ice water to see if they're off, and if so, hopefully by a predictable amount and just make note of it for future use... I doubt any of the $19.99 specials are going to be spot on, and even less likely that you can adjust them. I have one that is a consistent 2° off across the board.

Using the crystal clarity of hindsight, I'd say avoid buying one that has a coated probe wire. The first one I got has a flexible clear coating over the stainless steel wire -- I assume to make it easier to clean -- and it melted when I was using it on the grill. It still works, but it's ugly as hell.

The probe on the other has a quirk, that if it's immersed in water for too long it has a mental breakdown and tells me that everything is 233°. I assume the water shorts out the probe somehow, and I suspect it's where the wire enters the metal shaft of the probe itself. A quick toss in the oven while I have it on for something else seems to straighten it out. I try to use that one only when I don't need to completely submerge it.

So, I guess buyer beware... but I still feel that a digital thermometer, specifically one with a detachable probe, is a step up from the classic mercury variety. You don't have to keep lifting the lid to get a reading, and it's a hell of a lot easier to read.

And, FWIW, I've owned a metric buttload of the digital pen thermometers like the one suggested at the beginning of this thread -- and I mean absolutely no offense to MilwaukeeBrewGuy -- they have all stunk. I do a lot of grilling and baking, and my wife is a professional baker, and between the two of us we've never found one that is anything near consistently accurate... and when I say accurate, I'll even include being off a few degrees across the board. That's why I like the Thermopen... hell, I use it to second guess my el-cheapo probe thermometers every now and then, and have confirmed that they are accurate.

And by now, you're all catching on to the fact that I tend to ramble on. :D

Just wondering because I'm in the market, my last batch was questionable because I couldn't find one of my thermometers, mash said 158F which was what I was shooting for but water was starting to boil just above 200F.

I'm sure the fact that I'm at mile high elev. has something to do with that but I thought it was supposed to be around 208F although can't place where I got the info.

Edit: I guess whatever I get should be flourescent orange with flashing lights so I can find it?
Edit again: Maybe a car alarm so I can push a button and hear it?

I loled pretty hard. So you are going to try and argue that crushed ice and water is not ice and water?

Excuse me for not having your immense wisdom, but when I think "Ice water", I think of a couple ice cubes in a glass of water which will give a much different effect than the crushed ice in water, which I would guess the directions say to include equal amounts of ice as water. The fact that it's crushed will also make a difference.

Yeah, I actually have an interest in that thermometer, it just seems like if I couldn't find a reliable way to calibrate it, there'd be no point

If you follow their calibration directions properly, your calibration will be as reliable as you can get without purchasing additional equipment. If you have a significant amount of ice in your water and if you give it time to be mixed properly and allow the temperature to become as uniform as it's going to get, you should be darn near 32F, with changes due to elevation measured in hundredths of a degree. You can't say the same thing with boiling point. At only 750 feet above sea level and standard pressure, the boiling point of water has already dropped by 1F. If you're holding out for a thermometer that is going to have a better way of being calibrated, don't hold your breath.

i use this one and have been happy with it. Durability and price are the reasons why i did not get a wired probe. I find i just have to check it more often since i don't have a constant read out.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/testing-measuring/thermometers/proaccurate-digital-thermometer.html

Back to the beginning of the thread here, but I too am happy with this after having frustration/confusion with three other thermometers. Only used it once so far, but it's the first one to accurately hit freeze and boil temp test on the nose. If it craps out, then maybe I'll bite the bullet and make mine a thermapen.

BTW, DavidSteel does have a point about calibrating only at freezing being potentially problematic, not that there's a solution to it that I know of. Part of my problem with my first three thermometers was that they were all within a degree of 32F at freezing, but diverged to a 5-6 degree difference around mash temps, and even more around boiling, so I had to pretty much guess which was closest to right.

Excuse me for not having your immense wisdom, but when I think "Ice water", I think of a couple ice cubes in a glass of water which will give a much different effect than the crushed ice in water

I'm going to sound like an a$s here, but I loled so hard I could barley breathe. Given, I am drunk right now- I still loled for a good 2 minute solid. I cried a little :mug:

Back