Marine/RV Hose to fill kettles from tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruelkix

Reaction score
Hi all,

I tried to find it, but I thought I had read about people using Marine hose to go from their house water supply into their kettles so they dont pick up any off flavors from something like your standard garden hose. Is that true or am I fooling myself? Also is this what you guys were talking about using?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/382174/377%20710/0/hose/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=hose&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=hose&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=68&classNum=261

Thanks!
Craig

A lot of folks use em.
I had problems with the ones I got.
I suggest you smell/taste the water before each use just to make sure.

Ed

I have lots of them that I use in my RV, never had a problem with taste, but the end fittings aren't all that great and leak a bit. I just replace the ends.

Cool. Thanks guys. Ohio, did you get off flavors from the hose? the whole purpose of buying this is to avoid that. If it doesnt avoid it would you suggest something else?

Thanks,
Craig

I use em. I bought a hose, and cut it up.

(There are two words that will DOUBLE the price of something: 'maternity', and 'marine'.)

Cool. Thanks guys. Ohio, did you get off flavors from the hose? the whole purpose of buying this is to avoid that. If it doesnt avoid it would you suggest something else?

Thanks,
Craig

Yes I did. I bought a 100', 1/2" PEX water line and added garden hose fittings on each end. I also added a whole house filter to the end of the PEX line.

PEX if pretty stiff so it's not as flexible as a garden/rv hose but it's working for me.

I still flush the PEX Line and filter for several minutes and taste the water before every brew.

BTW... I got the 100' PEX on sale at Lowes for about $20.

Ed

I bought that hose and a filter from Walmart. Stuck a valve in the end and voila! I havent had any issues.

Back