I want good head...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrustyOlJohnson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
retention. And better lacing would be nice. I do all grain mashes and different types; single infusion, step infusion, and decoctions. Sometimes use caraPils. Can't seem to improve it. Usually use corn sugar for bottle priming. But have used dme for bottle priming and it seemed better. Any ideas??

I have read a few posts on here that have stated that washing your glasses with dish soap can diminish head retention. Other then that I am sure someone who is much smarter than me will chime in with MUCH better suggestions.

use some wheat. rye and oats also contribute to head retention, but they tend to have a bigger impact on the flavor and mouthfeel of the beer.

what are your thoughts on using a small amt of unmalted wheat, boiling it and throwing it in the mash for head retention? I got a bunch of it but I guess flaked is easier.

what are your thoughts on using a small amt of unmalted wheat, boiling it and throwing it in the mash for head retention? I got a bunch of it but I guess flaked is easier.
i've never used unmalted wheat so i can't help you there... sorry. i'm sure a quick search on this forum will yield some insights. i assume that you boil it as for the cereal mash? flaked is indeed easier - pre-gelatinized.

Do Carapils or CaraFoam really help? Whats the minimum that I need?
2-3% is a good lower limit to aim for if you don't have any other crystals in your receipe. carapils/carafoam aren't needed a much if you have other crystals already.

Ok, so what do the Carafoam/Carapils/Crystal contribute to the beer that gives it such great head?!? Cause I really want great head!! Oh, and lacing too. I'll try to rinse my glasses more

I think I know a working girl that can help you with your issue... she happens to be a great brewer and somehow gives all of her beers great head.

As was suggested to me in another thread, rinse agent in your dishwasher can kill head. Rinse the glass very well after it comes out of the dishwasher.

Carapils work pretty well. Half pound should be plenty. Same with some wheat, same measurment

Some other things I would try but not really sure about any of these:

Boil hard for a full 60. I think someone somewhere said that helps. A weak boil may make it harder for those longer starches to dissolve???

Hoppy beers are better I think also because the bitter molecules help stabilize those starches to stay in the beer and give good head.

Maybe check your cooler, adjust your mash thickness or make sure your body in the beer is good, that you aren't converting all your starches. If you fly sparge I think you wanna make sure you are adding the 170ish hot water to stop conversion.

These are just suggestions.

EDIT: If you really wanna get into it here is a video from American Chemical Society pretty much about that perfect pint with the nice head and lacing. Not too techy

http://acswebinars.org/beer-foam

As was suggested to me in another thread, rinse agent in your dishwasher can kill head. Rinse the glass very well after it comes out of the dishwasher.

This is good advice. I hand wash my beer glasses, rinse thoroughly and hand dry.

The pint glasses that end up in the dishwasher occasionally will have beers suddenly lose their foam quickly every so often.

Back