4 Days in keg, no carb!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I set up my first keg to force carb on Monday. I set it to 15 psi at 35 deg and I'm not getting any carbonation. The first sip is nice and fizzy, but the rest of the glass is flat. Am I keeping it too cold? Could they have simply pressurized my tank without giving me any CO2 (any way to find that out?)? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

When I keg my beer, I give the keg a good shaking for a couple of minutes, you can hear the CO2 running in as it goes into solution. The easist way is to just give it time but agitating your beer will help the process along.

Also, the high pressure gage on your regulator should show a tank pressure around 500 psi. And if you really want to know how much CO2 is left in your tank, there should be a tare weight stampped on your tank, weigh your tank with a bathroom scale, subtract the weight of the tank and that's how many pounds of CO2 you have left (I think my 20lb tank had a tare weight of 23 lbs, so full of CO2 it weighed 43 lbs).

Very well then. From what I had been reading off the Kegging Sticky, 3 days was the norm. Good to know otherwise. So is there any real benefit to force carb over natural?

You may want to reduce you pressure a bit though, 15 PSI @ 35 deg is about 3.1 volumes. Most beers are served somewhere betweem 1.5-2.5 vol (I prefer 2.5 for most ales).

Back